Votes: 10 25.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Random question, I was just wondering and if you do what type of riding do you where them for? My mom wants me to get some so I don't keep ruining my jeans.

·
Registered
152 Posts
no i dont wear chaps. i barely were boots in the summer time when i ride =) i ride western and a lil bit of english

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Always in jeans, always in boots, sometimes in chaps.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I only wear chaps at horse shows. Too much of a hassle to put them on just for regular riding, unless you're going out on some seriously overgrown trails or something like that ;)

·
Registered
957 Posts
I like wearing them in the winter especially, of if I know I am going to be riding a horse that I need a little bit of extra "glue" for lol :lol: I have a basic pair of western chaps with the fringe on them; still good enough for the small shows that I do but they dont look out of place on the trail.I definantly wouldnt want to wear them on eighty degree days though :-(

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I ride english and wear chaps... we're quite the sight when we're schooling cross country and running through dressage tests!

They're the kind with the fringe down the leg, big conchos, equitation drop, everything. I can be seen riding in them 98% of the time ;)
They make my legs look short, but it's just schooling, so who cares? They're comfortable, great to ride in during the summer, warm in the winter and only cost me $20 brand new. Can't beat it.

You can kind of see them in this picture:
Dressage 10.22.09 016.jpg

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wear chaps when I'm wearing jeans, but when I'm wearing breeches no. I ride english. I personally think chaps with jeans look better? Haha, I don't know.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I wear them for ranch work and cow work and basic riding but only western

For english i wear paddock boots and half chaps!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wear Half chaps, I do lots of long trail rides and hate when my jeans rub on my legs, they are a lifesaver!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
When I fit into my chaps , yes. I like to wear shorts in the summer (I'm always too warm) and wearing my chaps over is very comfy. Plus, when I stop to rest and have a bite to eat, off come the chaps and I'm perfectly temp controlled!

When I don't fit into my chaps, I'm a jeans girl. I like jeans with the stretch in them for that extra comfort.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I wear mine when it is really cold outside or the wind chill is very low. Leather chaps cut the wind amazingly and are really warm. I ride western and the only time I don't wear jeans is in the summer when riding bareback on my old broke horses. I actually didn't buy mine, they are my Dad's old show chaps that he bought in like '78 or '79 when he went to the world Appaloosa show. I talked him into letting me cut them off to fit me. They are a little big around but that's okay, rather that than to tight. Later I will probably get a pair that is made for me but right now, I don't really want to spend 200 or 300 dollars on something that I won't need for another year. I have too many other things to use my money on right now. Other than that, I don't really wear them though I am considering getting a pair of ****** for this summer cause they make riding through brush or plum thickets much easier.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Lets just say my chaps were $500 custom handmade.

They are strictly for showing. unless its freeeeeeezing.
I ride western so I wear boots halfway up my shin. So when its cold I have a pair of half chaps that are a size bigger to go over my boots and jeans.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
I am on my 3rd pair of chaps in 25 years. I tend to wear them through in the legs next to the saddle. |I always have them custom fit to me and I hate fringes. I too find them really warm in the winter.
I like a good buckle, a heavy duty belt, not the dinky little buckle and belt.
I will not ride in jeans since the inner seam of the jeans wear through my leg and bleeding in one's pants is not a good thing.
I will also not ride in a tooled saddle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bouhgt a pair of half chaps on-line, because I ride trail and some areas have lots of brush and manzanita. I hated getting tugged every step! These saves my riding pants and fit great, feel great (they hug the calves, and add support) and I feel lick a** in them! LOL
They are a great thing to have, and once you use them you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner! I love them!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I only wear my chaps at shows. I think my mother would kill me if I wore them out on the trail and ruined them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't, but I probably need to. I only trail ride, but my horse loves going through brush, branches, etc. And it doesn't matter how many thorns there are, she just bulldozes right through. I always ride in jeans and have tried to get thicker ones, but I just need to break down and buy some chaps to save my legs.

I think they'd be great in the cold, but I can't imagine them being comfy in the summer. Any recommendations for summer chaps? Are half chaps better?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.