The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Retired breeder
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doc's Zimfandel was an AQHA Champion, AQHA World Champion Jr Cutting Horse, PCCHA Futurity Champion, and dead at the early age of 5.
Horse Working animal Liver Horse tack Horse supplies

·
Registered
Retired breeder
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We had our son of this horse at a NCHA show in Montana when a fellow walked up looking kind of dazed. He kept repeating "This horse is dead, I saw him die!" over and over. Finally my late husband asked him if he could help him. He told him "This can't be, I saw this horse die!"
It was Wayne Beaus, owner of Doc's Zimfandel. Doc's Zimfandel died at the early age of 5 on the operating table for colic surgery. Our son of that horse was the spitting image of his sire.
Working animal Pack animal Livestock Landscape Event

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
We had our son of this horse at a NCHA show in Montana when a fellow walked up looking kind of dazed. He kept repeating "This horse is dead, I saw him die!" over and over. Finally my late husband asked him if he could help him. He told him "This can't be, I saw this horse die!"
It was Wayne Beaus, owner of Doc's Zimfandel. Doc's Zimfandel died at the early age of 5 on the operating table for colic surgery. Our son of that horse was the spitting image of his sire. View attachment 1123045
how weird that he came up to you and said that.. lol. It is odd to see a horse , and you have to do a double take to make sure it is not yours !

·
Registered
Retired breeder
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doc's Zimfandel was a horse of 1974. So he died the year our horse was foaled in 1979. By the time he saw our horse, it had been several years. I can well understand his confusion.
The best part was the day he was there, that was the day we put together our high scoring run for the entire show, and Mr. Beaus got to see it. We were so pleased that he got to witness it!

Now that our Zim has been gone a number of years, its still hard. I miss this horse a lot. He was truly, as his sire, a once in a lifetime type of horse.

Reactions: stevenson

·
Registered
Retired breeder
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In some of my old QH Journals, I remember finding where Doc's Zimfandel had been in a sale, sold for $250,000. When you consider that was back in the early 70's, that's a HUNK of money!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts