Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have just had to give back my horse to pre owners due to back issues I didn't know about before purchase and it was A very sad day as we were starting to bond nicely and we had started clicker training and I could see light bulbs coming on.
Sometimes things happen for a reason though, and I have recently been thinking that I enjoy more the handling and ground work and bonding more than actually riding.
My question is does anyone here clicker train ponies or minature horses? I have just started thinking about the idea of really getting into that side of things and be able to do community shows with them. I quite like the idea.
Any advise from experience? I've never had ponies before, so what would be the best pony or mini to look for with this type of training involved?
It's so new here in Australia I think it would be a great hit, and I am Not after any money or as a business, just as pure enjoyment and satisfaction.
Thanks for any tips or advise and would love to see any bodies videos or help pages.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hi Tombo8!

I CT with my animals and I have 3 horses and 1 mini donkey. I have not done as much work with the mini, but it has been helpful with her. I like using both traditional training and CT. Sometimes pressure and release is what we need and sometimes CT is the answer.

I recommend you read this thread 153311/http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/clicker-training-challenge-accepted-153311/

Are you thinking about driving? Trick training? Liberty?

Have fun!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, mainly liberty and trick training.
Yes thanks for the link I have been reading it.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Yes, another one that has successfully used c/t(principles these days - long time since used actual clicker or such) for ponies.... and donkeys, chooks, dogs, geese, ducks, cats.... just haven't mastered it in relation to kids & husband! ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.