The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To me they look pretty similar except that Percherons are just usually taller and stockier then friesians. They also have different movements too.

·
Super Moderator
12,663 Posts
If you aren't familiar with horses and have only heard them talked about or seen vague pictures then a black horse is a black horse. For those that have a draft interest they may say Percheron while those that are just interested in black stallion types - they'd likely say Freisian.

Very, very, different movement and body type.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Absolutely! The other day, a friend of mine delivered some hay and asked "Is that a Percheron?" about my little Friesian colt. And right now, he really does look like one. His tail has been chewed by his friend so it looks like a grown out docked tail.

Reactions: Copacetic

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Most people think of Black Stallion types as Arabians. Cass Ole lived near me in San Antonio Texas.
I also used to dye the tiny white star my black Arabian stallion had, although after a while his long thick forelock covered it. He had a long neck like a black swan. His mane had no bridle path (why do they do that?) and it hung far below his neck and his tail went down to the ground. He would come galloping in, black flag flying. Gosh I miss him.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
No. Friesians were large carriage horses which have become, well, the foo foo fad horse breed. Percherons are a large draft breed, although they are often crossed with taller riding horses to create heavy hunter types. They are also usually gray, not black.

In the books and the film, the Black Stallion was a purebred Arabian. Nothing like either of the above breeds.

·
Super Moderator
12,663 Posts
And that is certainly true but the Freisian breeder down from us would complain about visitors wanting to know if her horses were either the Black Stallion or Black Beauty.

·
Registered
525 Posts
No. Friesians were large carriage horses which have become, well, the foo foo fad horse breed. Percherons are a large draft breed, although they are often crossed with taller riding horses to create heavy hunter types. They are also usually gray, not black.

In the books and the film, the Black Stallion was a purebred Arabian. Nothing like either of the above breeds.
Friesians still do carriage driving, an example here: *stallions have to pass a driving test to become approved for breeding.

And here they are giving a really cool demo with the traditional "sjees"

·
Banned
104 Posts
Interesing bringing up The Black Stallion and Black Beauty.
The Black Stallion in the movie(s) was played by an Arabain, as @AragoASB posted, but was played by an AQH, Docs Keepin Time, in the series and in the Black Beauty (1994) movie.

In the Black Stallion series, some people kidnapped the Black. The security guard came running when he heard Alec and Henry yelling for the Black. The security guard said, "What do you mean that the Black is 'missing'? He is standing right in front of you." Alec scoffed, "That's not the Black." Henry agreed, "That's a QH, not Thoroughbred... and that's a MARE." Oof.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think they look quite different.

I did have someone stop their car on the road while we were in the pasture and ask if our horse was a friesian.
She’s black, I’ll give them that.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Friesians still do carriage driving, an example here: *stallions have to pass a driving test to become approved for breeding.

And here they are giving a really cool demo with the traditional "sjees"
I still think Friesians are much better fancy carriage horses than they are riding horses. And Percherons are better plough and heavy cart horses than they are riding horses. But then, I'm a crank.

·
Super Moderator
12,663 Posts
The hitch bred Percherons can be nice riding horses. They tend to be very agile. Crossed with a good Arabian stallion and they make excellent eventers.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yeah, I don't really get caught up in the "can only ever be a driving horse" mindset. I've ridden a couple of Percherons and you couldn't ask for a better mount. And to me the Friesian has always been an all around farm horse.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
They look very different to me, especially once they start moving. Unmistakable. I can see why a novice might confuse them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts