The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My farrier doesn't usually trim miniature horses, and I wanted to make sure he looks ok when he is walking. He hasn't shown any signs of lameness that I have noticed, but I'm worried that I am too close to the situation to tell for certain that he is walking fine. Imgur Video of him walking

Super Moderator
At the walk he looks fine to me..

To me it shouldn't make a difference whether horse, pony or mini as fundamentals of what you trim, cut and rasp are all the same just different sizes specific to animal.
If your farrier not lame your horse when he trims him then he should not lame your mini either.
I don't own minis, but equine is equine just different sized hooves.:unsure:
馃惔...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the walk he looks fine to me..

To me it shouldn't make a difference whether horse, pony or mini as fundamentals of what you trim, cut and rasp are all the same just different sizes specific to animal.
If your farrier not lame your horse when he trims him then he should not lame your mini either.
I don't own minis, but equine is equine just different sized hooves.:unsure:
馃惔...
thank you!

I appreciate the response and advice! :)

Registered
Having trimmed minis, they tend to grow too long and some farriers leave them too long. Since they are small they don't tend to wear their hooves down as much as regular sized horses. A good farrier should trim them just like a smaller horse. Sometimes they end up on "stilts" or have "coke can" feet, from not enough bring removed from a trim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts