The Horse Forum banner

Does it count if one spends money while in the barn?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided while cleaning stalls that I needed to bite the bullet and give HorseTech a big — make that BIG order.

Thus the question and the poll, which I fixed so more than one answer is possible.

Somehow, in my mind, everything is free until I see the bill:eek:

Reactions: BethR

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I'm divided on this one Walk I think it's allowed to thing about what you want/need while working in the barn but maybe a good idea to rethink everything again while back in the house cooking supper or some other housey chore. I guess housey is not a word????

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm divided on this one Walk I think it's allowed to thing about what you want/need while working in the barn but maybe a good idea to rethink everything again while back in the house cooking supper or some other housey chore. I guess housey is not a word????
I procrastinate when it comes to ordering the usual horse supplies/supplements they need. With the weather being so bad recently, that interstates were covered in ridiculous amounts of ice and snow, I put off ordering even longer as I didn’t want my stuff ending up at the bottom of some embankment.

So I dropped the manure fork, picked up my cell phone and —— ordered — a bunch of mostly supplements I am running low on :censored::censored:

It got me to wondering if I’m the only one who views spending while in the barn, somehow more “free” than spending while in the house even though the outcome on the credit card is the sameo_Oo_O

Reactions: Woodhaven

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about spending that you don't tell the husband about?

Feeling pretty crappy about my MASSIVE vet bill today. Thanks, ulcers!
That doesn’t count either, unless he finds the bill:eek:

I am so sorry about the ulcers — there’s nothing humorous in that😨😨

Reactions: BethR

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Money spent is money spent no matter where you are when you spend it. LOL How many of us, though, do without other niceties so that we can have it to spend on our horses? I can guarantee you I spend far less per year on my hobby than my siblings do on their hobbies.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I just stopped at the local tack shop and spent much bucks on things, but they were ON SALE so I just have to look at it this way, how much money did I save in this trip???
I don't buy on line so I may decide what to get while in the barn but then I go and get it, I pay cash for most things so there is no credit card bill coming in, just easier that way, fewer questions.

·
Super Moderator
12,656 Posts
Money spent is money spent no matter where you are when you spend it. LOL How many of us, though, do without other niceties so that we can have it to spend on our horses? I can guarantee you I spend far less per year on my hobby than my siblings do on their hobbies.
I know I do even when we were up in numbers but I am the one all gang up on about money spent when they feel it should be spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just stopped at the local tack shop and spent much bucks on things, but they were ON SALE so I just have to look at it this way, how much money did I save in this trip???
Ah Yes!! The old “it was on sale and look how much money I SAVED trick”. I‘ve used that many times myself😂😂

Then there was the time my horse friends came down to TN for a visit and we ladies went to a horse auction while the guys went to Nashville to see the sites — “Tootsies”

We went to the auction in my Saturn, I only had a little bit of cash for some small miscellaneous tack, and my credit card, which no auction I ever attended took credit cards in the old days. I left the checkbook home with intent.

Several hours later, my “non-influential” friends (they are sisters) and I were back in my barn pondering ——- pondering where to add the fourth stall for the 18 month old colt I bought and was waiting for my neighbor to deliver —- just as soon as he was done hauling the colt around town while running his own errands:oops::oops:

Notice I did say “colt”. Yesssss, he needed gelded :eek::eek:

What a surprise my new DH had when the guys got back from their day of fun. My friends husbands were on the ground laughing as they knew me for a lifetime and were fully aware what horse damage we could do when the three of us went to a horse auction “just for tack”😂😂😂😂

The money “didn’t count” because I had no way to pay for the colt except my credit card — which the auction just happened to have a machine set up and the man who carried Sultan home for me was my new insurance agent and vouched for me — it’s funny to this day:):).

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I bought a pony to help with my horse's ulcers. The pony was cheap so I figure I SAVED a pile of money!

Therefore, I can't judge. I mean, think of it this way @walkinthewalk, you could be spending your money on drugs, booze and gambling. So you see, horses save us from all the ills of humanity. You just did yourself a huge favour. I would even say that these expenses count as self-care. If only I could figure out how to make then tax-deductible now...

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
—-think of it this way @walkinthewalk, you could be spending your money on drugs, booze and gambling.

So you see, horses save us from all the ills of humanity. You just did yourself a huge favour. I would even say that these expenses count as self-care. If only I could figure out how to make then tax-deductible now...
This is too funny, lollol

When people used to accuse me of being “rich”, I would tell them that, they too, could have a horse if they stopped smoking, drinking and playing bingo😂

I love the term “self-care” - I’m sure I can make use of that(y):)(y):)

I have wished for years my non-producing geldings could be tax deductible, lollol

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I, too, fall into the category of feeling this is saved money. I've never had a gym membership, never had a bill from a shrink, etc.
Amenamenamen(y) :) (y) :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'll chime in again to say that, yeah, my horse is probably just as if not less expensive than having a therapist and being on meds. He's also the only thing I spend any of my "disposable income" on as I don't have any other hobbies or interests that my money goes to. I always get a bit of a laugh when people with really expensive hobbies (or who in general just throw any money they have around) act as if they could never afford a horse or seem scandalized I spend money on one at all when they've probably sunk more money into their gaming habit, their other pets, going on trips, etc. I really don't do anything with my money aside from the essentials and the horse stuff so I don't feel too bad about it. Even eating out is on rare occasions.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Agreed @marymane. I see people drive brand new cars every two or three years, while I'm still puttering around in my 12 year old car (mind you, it's a Volvo so they go on forever, but I bought it used), or buying boats, snowmobiles, four-wheelers, RVs. I see people going on trips (pre-Covid) while I only ever travelled if work made me. I see people going shopping for clothes, shoes, spending a thousand dollars on a purse or a new phone.... meanwhile I wear my clothes right out. My cell phone is a cheap, used phone.

It's all about priorities. What makes you happy. Life is too short not to spend our money on what we love!

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
When i was growing up everybody smoked but I just didn't because it was such a waste of money in my opinion, I didn't get a horse until I was 18 and working but I spent very little on things like smoking and drinking because I just didn't have the money for those things. Maybe that's why I can still get out and ride at 80 yrs, horses are good for your health.
My first horse trailer cost $75 and I had to borrow $50 from my 14 yr old sister, money that she had saved up to buy a saddle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts