The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought this 15 year old gelding home and my husband who doesn't know a whole lot about horses thinks he has a sway back. I hope he is wrong! This isnt a great picture, but we just got him, I'll take another this week. 048.jpg

·
Registered
269 Posts
I thought my mare had sway back but she just has high withers and wasn't completely filled out. You will be able to know more definitely if you can't build up his topline. Here's a photo of my mares back

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
I can't really tell by the angle either, but if he does it is not a very obvious one! along with the other posters it could be high withers or a big belly (dragging it down) and lack of topline.

looks like a cutie!

Reactions: Delmckay

·
Super Moderator
22,836 Posts
Like you said, your husband doesn't know horses so don't worry.:wink: While it's not a good angle & he could be a bit butt high(how old is he?) There doesn't look like a trace of a 'sway' there. Are you new to horses, by any chance?

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

I have seen many Horses that people think have a sway back because they have high or very high withers.

I do not see a true sway back in your Horse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Side View

Here is a better picture of him. He is a 15 year old gelding. Bought him for my daughter to start 4H.

Loosie - I grew up with horses and now just getting back into them

219.JPG

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
He's also out of shape, which is going to pull his back down. Once you put him in work and that tummy tightens up with muscle, he won't look so pulled down.

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Reactions: MAG1723

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Looks like a combination of high withers and butt high/downhill build. I can see how it could give an unexperienced eye (i.e. your DH :)) the impression of swayback. It might be a little bit harder to find a good saddle fit, but nothing a good saddle fitter couldn't work with.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here is a better picture of him. He is a 15 year old gelding. Bought him for my daughter to start 4H.

Loosie - I grew up with horses and now just getting back into them

View attachment 118203

yup , not a swayback. :) I see a horse who needs to work on some stomach muscle to sling up his topline, along with actual topline work. long and low work without letting him drop his shoulders becoming downhill. don't just let him stretch and fall on his forehand. :)

he is handsome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yup , not a swayback. :) I see a horse who needs to work on some stomach muscle to sling up his topline, along with actual topline work. long and low work without letting him drop his shoulders becoming downhill. don't just let him stretch and fall on his forehand. :)

he is handsome.
Thanks for all your feedback!!

Ok, so my next question - how the heck do I do what Royal Pine Buck suggests??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts