The Horse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse suddenly developed bad habits that were never there and I honestly have tried everything I can but nothing seems to quite work. He is not forward going anymore and refuses to trot and buck if I was to push his buttons by asking a lot more strict. When I am asking him to walk faster or to go into a trot he would throw his head back and reverse or just stop and moving around side to side in one spot refusing to move.
I am worried that it might be signs of him having some pain or even collic.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Does he have signs of colic? Attempting to roll? Lying down? Biting at sides? Did you take vital signs or listen for gut sounds? Colic is (usually) pretty recognizable. Has he been tested for ulcers or given any kind of vet care or lameness exam? Unfortunately they cannot speak to us so you have to eliminate some causes one by one. Does his saddle fit? Teeth been done? There’s just so many things that can result in refusal to move forward that it would be nigh impossible to diagnose without vet exam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
382 Posts
It is possible that it's pain related - especially if this is sudden, and not normal for him. Honestly, there are a lot of possibilities.

Have his teeth been checked recently? Saddle fit? Any issues with his girth area? Sores, swelling, heat in his legs? Any chance of ulcers? Or back pain? This is one of those things that is hard to advise online, really need someone there in person to get hands on the horse.

Do you have a good equine vet or chiropractor you could get out? Also, any further details - age of the horse, work level, time owned, when this started, how long it's been going on, how he used to behave - all details that might help narrow down possible issues.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Is this happening only under saddle? How about in the roundpen?
I had a very similar experience to yours, and it turned out to be ulcers. Certainly it sounds like pain or discomfort from some sort.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts