The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...so some days she looks welsh to me and then she looks more arab-y and acts like an arab. I was wondering what you guys thought because I am planning on taking her to a local show during the winter or fall and don't know if I should get a regular leather halter or an arab halter....here ...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Pretty girl you've got there. Lucky you :) How old/tall is she? I have a part arab mare and find that the "cob" size halter fits her great. Won't go near my thoroughbred though.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You,Day Mares. She is 13 hands or maybe a bit taller now. She's a yearling and growing like a weed.

EthanQ, so I should probably get an arab show halter instead? I wonder what type of arab she is. Maybe Polish? She doesn't have that dish face really anymore.She had a bit of one when she was younger.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't know much about the diff types of arabs but i can tell when I see one. the halter decision is up to you but as long as she has a dshed face, id go wit the arab halter :)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Is this one yours?! Very pretty!

In some photos she reminds me of a pony, in others she looks arab. Either way, I think a dainty-looking arab-type halter would look best :)

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This girl is mine :) She is a sweet thing!

So her face isn't too big looking for an arab halter?

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
The QH Impressive showed in an Arab halter.

I would get her an arab halter. She looks more welsh to me but arab halters are flashy. :D

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just found out from Piaffe that she is 3/4 arab and 1/4 welsh :D..I'll get her an arab halter...they are so pretty anyways.

What color?

·
Registered
359 Posts
She looks like a welsh to me. But Arabs can come in all shapes and sizes. I had an Arab who was 16hh and had a face like a TB. While my friend had one the looked like a warmblood cross.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay,I was thinking maroon but I like the idea of blue. That will be her show halter color.

·
Registered
14,242 Posts
It depends on how you will have her stand up. If you'll stand her up like a sport horse then I'd use a leather stable halter. If you will stand her up like an main ring Arabian halter horse then I'd go with the Arabian show halter. Hint: The leather stable halter and lead will be less expensive, $45-50? and the Arabian show halter, lead, chin chain and throat latch chain will run you between $125 - $200, depending on what you get and where you get it.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It depends on how you will have her stand up. If you'll stand her up like a sport horse then I'd use a leather stable halter. If you will stand her up like an main ring Arabian halter horse then I'd go with the Arabian show halter. Hint: The leather stable halter and lead will be less expensive, $45-50? and the Arabian show halter, lead, chin chain and throat latch chain will run you between $125 - $200, depending on what you get and where you get it.

what would you suggest? I never seen arabians stand like a sport horse stance...are you talking about standing on even fours and looking forward?

·
Registered
14,242 Posts
what would you suggest? I never seen arabians stand like a sport horse stance...are you talking about standing on even fours and looking forward?
Yes, they are standing pretty much squared up with a lowered headset, not stretching up from the shoulder.

Here's a horse 'dressed up' for sport horse:

And here's the same horse standing up for halter:

If the sport horse stance was in the ring being judged, his head would be reaching down, arching his neck toward my hand. He's standing up because that's more natural to him and looks better in the pics.

In the halter pose, he has a leather training halter on rather than a show halter but that pic is just for the pose. If you haven't trained an Arabian halter horse before, I'd probably go with the sport horse look, it's easier to train.

Here's a horse that's standing correctly for the judge:

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea,I have never trained for it before.

Do they make thin leather halters for arabs?
Regular halters are extremely bulky on her.

·
Registered
14,242 Posts
ARrrgh! The 10 minute edit thingy bites me everytime I stop to look up tack!

Anyway, you can buy a matching leather lead w/chain attached for around $25.

Check www.sstack.com for lots of Arabian show supplies, they carry lots of things and their customer service is excellent.

http://www.sstack.com/western_arabian-equipment_arabian-show-haltersbreastcollars/billy-royal-braided-patent-thread-halter/

Here's a typical Arabian show halter. $140 and up, plus you have to have conchos $30 and up, throatlatch $20, show chain $20, leather lead $25-50

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So when you fo the sport horse stance you can't use the typical halter even if it's leather?

·
Registered
14,242 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the question? I like the rolled leather halters because they aren't so bulky on the Arabians tiny heads. Other than being rolled, they are just normal leather halters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts