Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

so I've recently started university and moved to the city, meaning I've had to agist my boy about an hour away. He has someone feed and rug him everyday etc. so he's not completely neglected but he acts as though he is every time I leave. Anyway, today I went out to go for a little ride and I first noticed he had scoured, but the new grass is just popping up and considering he wasn't colicky at all I just assumed it was the sugar in the grass upsetting him (this might not even be linked). I thought I'd take him for a walk after cleaning him up anyway, and went to pick his hooves to find them like the photo attached.

He's always had good hooves and the thing that confuses me the most is that there appears to be barely any moisture constantly hanging around in his paddock which I would have thought would trigger something like this. His last trim was about 4 weeks ago, and he's not lame at all.

Has anyone seen this before? He's my first and only horse and hasn't had a single hoof issue in the 10 years I've had him. I've never seen seedy toe myself but it was my first thought however I thought it attacked the hoof wall, and this seems to be degradation of everything but. The photo attached is his off hind, which is the worst. They are all similar except one of his fores is pretty much normal. And they STINK!

Thanks for your help! :gallop:

·
Super Moderator
16,038 Posts
I'm not seeing any pictures....:frown_color:

Stink is usually associated with thrush and bacteria...
Thrush can get bad quickly in good "growing" conditions and can attack all parts of a hoof..

·
Premium Member
24,139 Posts
Yeah not seeing pics either. 'Seedy toe' or 'WLD' is the same as 'thrush' except that thrush refers to infection(can be bacterial or fungal) of the frog & seedy attacks wall material.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Knowing that you can't get to him every day but you have someone who can - have them paint on Koppertox to each sole and frog daily until the thrush is gone. Koppertox or whatever thrush treatment is available in your area.

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Folks, there is an almost invisible square next to the nose of the running horse emoticon. Click it and you will see the hoof:)

Get the best hoof thrush treatment you can find. If you have any products with Gentian Violet in them, try those. Paint the crevices along the frog, the frog, the sulci (between the heel bulbs), and the whiteline.

I hope loosie comes back in ---- it looks to me like there is a lot of dead sole that could be carefully pared off. After that's done, then look at the whiteline and the health of the live sole:)

Reactions: loosie
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.