The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this pretty cheap and want to try out dressage in it. How does it fit? Also does anyone know about the brand?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,879 Posts
Looks like the gullet might be about right. Though hard to say with that angled pic. Looks like the back of it is pretty narrow & maybe overstuffed, but again, with that angle pic can't say much at all. Looks like it *might* be slightly too far back, which will effect fit too. Although the front of the weightbearing area of a saddle should also be well clear the scapula & can't tell from those pics if it would be doing so.

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
nothing glaringly wrong. Try the ol' "tap into place ' technique.

put saddle a bit more forward than you think is right. then use the edge of you hand, like you are karate chopping the front edge of your saddle, and 'tap' it back. It will only move if it wants to, meaning, it will stop moving when it has hit 'home'. this is tapping, not pushing , so the resistance of the saddle hitting it's 'home' will tell you where that saddle will go to once it is girthed up.

I think, off hand, that that saddle is ok.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. I need a girth for it and some stirrups so before I invested I figured I'd check fit. I will throw it up again tomorrow and try the tap technique and take more pictures.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sorry to disagree with most but if you look at the first pic and compare the angles of tree point (hard to see) and back of shoulder blade, they're not parallel, are they? Suggests to me it's slightly too narrow. It's hard to tell from these pics, and with the saddle un-girthed, but the side-on pic suggests the same because the balance seems a little pommel-high.

Some of this may be because the saddle is a bit too far forward. Dressage saddles generally fit very sightly further back than a GP and this can further complicate fitting. Many horses' back angles can lift towards the horizontal very quickly once you get past the traditional '2" behind the shoulder' tree-fit position, meaning some need a wider tree in a dressage than would otherwise be the case. But again, it's very individual.

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
No help on fit but once you decide what size girth you need, let me know. I've got quite a few laying around not getting used and would be happy to send one if it's the right size!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts