The Horse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if this saddle fits my mare correctly, I’ve never used it on her so I’m unsure..
Working animal Mammal Carnivore Dog breed Grey
Shoe Comfort Grey Wood Personal protective equipment
Human body Flash photography Liver Working animal Wood
Glasses Sunglasses Sleeve Goggles Grey

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,266 Posts
It's sitting too far forward on her in these pics, so it's hard to say exactly what's off about it. But even shifted back, I think it's going to still be too high in front/too low in the rear, which is a sign that it's not fitting correctly. A saddle that fits well will look "right" on a way that this one doesn't, unfortunately.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's sitting too far forward on her in these pics, so it's hard to say exactly what's off about it. But even shifted back, I think it's going to still be too high in front/too low in the rear, which is a sign that it's not fitting correctly. A saddle that fits well will look "right" on a way that this one doesn't, unfortunately.
She did have a cocked leg in some of the pictures I took, so I might take a few more and put the saddle back a bit. Would a back-rise help possibly? I’d just like to be able to see if this saddle works for us especially since it’s never used.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, got a few more pictures to see if it’s any better. Few with a back-rise, a fleece half-pad, and then just the saddle.
Grey Bag Automotive design Tints and shades Luggage and bags
Sleeve Hood Grey Automotive tire Automotive design
Grey Comfort Foot Human leg Personal protective equipment
Textile Sleeve Grey Sunglasses Beige
Shoe Outdoor shoe Hat Walking shoe Grey
Glasses Hat Sleeve Grey Helmet

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
I would say you still have it too far forward.

It seems like it might be an okay fit but saddle needs to be placed properly, and I would be curious to know how it feels when you run your hand down the front, and if there are any tight spots on the shoulders.
You can also ride in it and see how your sweat marks look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I‘ll just ride in it tomorrow and see how it looks/feels, and try to get some pictures of the sweat marks. :)

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
If you move it back a little and if you have a pad that is slightly built up in the back it would raise the back a little and help the front sit a little better the flaps not so forward

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree that it appears too far forward in the pics. I have found that usually, when you slide the saddle back from a too far forward position, it should settle into a "sweet spot" where it doesn't want to move.

Also, I saw what look to be a few wrinkles in the seat; have you checked the integrity of the tree? Although it isn't always a sign of a problem, it can be an indicator that the tree could be broken and is worth looking into just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
49,767 Posts
whats the story on that saddle? There is a slight wrinkling on the seat that can sometimes indicate a broken tree. It doesn't look that bad, though, so may just be stretched leather. I think the fit is possible ok once slid back some. it may benefit from reflocking.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
My concern is how narrow the channel is - I'd just check and be sure it is not resting on the sensitive part of the spine.

Reactions: Lynn&Moon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My stepdad got the saddle from a yard-sale about a year ago, I’ve never used it except once. Its definitely an older saddle, made by Blue Ribbon Tack and other than that I really don’t know anything else. But I did test it on her with a very short ride about 10 minutes but the saddle felt just fine wasn’t leaning to far forward or backward, I was using the fleece pad, nothing out of the ordinary.
I did move it in to that sweet spot and it sits slightly more up on her withers, turns out all of our saddles do that on her. I did the slide technique multiple times and it ended up in the same area in the pictures. It might just have something to do with the shape of her withers? But she seems comfortable with the saddle in that spot.
Horse Liver Terrestrial animal Plant Working animal

Re-flocking the saddle is not much of an option due to the prices, and there is no one around us that does stuff like that unfortunately. Unless we want to travel 2 hours. It’s not my main saddle, so Its not much of a big deal in my opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I rode in the saddle again today for about 30-40 minutes. When I got on she didn’t pin her ears back or anything so nothing was pinching her, and she will let me know if she doesn’t like something lol. She was good the whole ride, after we were done I checked for pressure points and didn’t find any. The sweat marks also seemed equal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts