The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mare April loves people so much that it actually becomes disruptive to our rides.

Yesterday was amazingly beautiful, 65 degrees F in the middle of January in Pennsylvania. Naturally, there were dozens of people on the nearby public trail, including myself on April. She tried to stop and say hi to every. single. person. Including a couple that were walking five barking hounds. And then when a jogger came up behind us and passed us, she started trotting - in perfect pace - in an attempt to follow him!

Today was a bit chillier but there were still people. We passed a mother carrying an older baby, and she asked if they could come meet her. April did not miss a beat, I dropped the reins and she changed directions and marched right over to them! They got plenty of pictures and April got to meet a baby for the first time, which was basically the best thing in the world to her. She was not rude, just stood relaxed with her face about a foot away from him while I chatted with the mother for a few minutes, and didn't even twitch an ear while cars were passing right behind her.

April loves the vet and never minds that he stabs her with needles, so long as he pays the peppermint fee afterwards.

She will practically spoon the farrier and it takes all of my effort to drag her face off of him without unbalancing her.

Every time we ride past one yard with a Dalmatian, she will stop at the fence on her own to reach her nose down and say hi to him.

What experiences do you have with a horse who loves to meet new people?

·
Super Moderator
10,029 Posts
I used to exercise a polo pony that had a fun personality. And loved people.

The only downside was that I could be doing fast work and if someone called her name, even a "Go ________, Go" she'd get distracted and want to go see them. Almost unseated me the first few times.

We came to an agreement. She didn't veer off, just raise her head and look, and I'd take her to "See her public"as soon as we were done.

·
Registered
14,615 Posts
I have a people friendly horse too. He loves the farrier, the vet, the judge, the ring steward, the people in the stands, babies, etc. If somebody loves him back, he will start to lick them.

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
Rusty is like this. The other two are more standoffish, but Rusty spent hours standing in the corner of the paddock as close as he could get to our neighbors' house as they were moving in. He just started and stared for hours. If someone comes into the barn, he is the first to come check them out. Same with other animals. On trails, if we see animals, he wants to follow them. Squirrels, deer, turkeys, it doesn't matter, he wants to be friends with all of them.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
We call my Chorro "a Labrador in a horse suit" because he just loves everybody. All my life I've started my own colts, and they live on my place. It doesn't take long before my horses are not great accepting other riders. In fact, some of them have been horrible when I try to let others ride them. But not Chorro. Although I got him as a yearling and have done every scrap of training on him, he's good with any rider--experienced or total novice. He's happy to go wherever you point him. And friendly to everybody. I take him every year to the veteran's home for loves, pets, and treats.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
It depends.

If I’m in their presence, one will greet people the other will be standoffish.

If I’m not close by, they will go on high alert from afar in the pasture. Even they know about stranger danger:)

My horses are also fenced off from the road because I don’t want them to learn to be friendly with people, unless we are in a controlled environment and I say it’s ok.

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Depends on the people, like if she senses any negativity, or 'bad' people, my mare will not be as friendly of course. She definitely knows I'm her person. But she's very playful in general. She's a silly, friendly mare.

She LOVES the farrier & vet too. :lol: Always tries to play with them/sniff them. I think it's quite cute. :)

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Out of the 9 I have 1 mini mare that hates having visitors, a paint gelding that likes everyone on the ground but gets nervous about having a kid on his back and another paint gelding that is leery of strange men but is fine with the ones he knows. Gamble, on the other hand, makes people nervous because he wants to claim them as his own and be right on top of them or maybe amusing himself trying to see if he can intimidate them.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
My current horses are friendly, to a point. My gelding generally approaches people easily, but my mare is much more suspicious. She does not like men, or boys. Especially men with spurs :frown_color:

I had a grade QH gelding, my heart horse, that just loved people! When we were at shows, and I walked away for a while, I would return to find people clustered around his stall! They would be full of praise for his beauty, and tell me how he whinnied right at them so they just HAD to come over to visit with him :rofl:

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Mine are friendly and will always come to see what's up but not obnoxiously so. Sometimes they are just more interested in their round bales than new people. If we come out to the pasture they'll come say a quick "Hi, pleased to meet you" and then go back to what they're doing. I watch closely, especially Patti & Cloney, because if ever those 2 are not friendly to someone, then there's something wrong with that person.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
To put it mildly, yes haha! When she's in the ring she's all business. Outside of the ring, everyone is literally her best friend. Everyone. The vet loves her, the farrier loves her. And she loves them lol

·
Registered
971 Posts
I did brand inspections at a place this past fall that had a Belgian draft mare that was so people friendly she made it hard to inspect the other horses because she would get in between me and the horse being inspected because she wanted to be petted and scratched. When you moved her off she would come up behind you and put her head over your shoulder and just kind of snuggle into the side of your head and stand there and wait to get petted. I was seriously considering trying to buy her and then breed her to a QH stud to get some half draft colts to sell. If they got their dam's personality they would be fantastic family horses for trail riding and such.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
I did brand inspections at a place this past fall that had a Belgian draft mare that was so people friendly she made it hard to inspect the other horses because she would get in between me and the horse being inspected because she wanted to be petted and scratched. When you moved her off she would come up behind you and put her head over your shoulder and just kind of snuggle into the side of your head and stand there and wait to get petted. I was seriously considering trying to buy her and then breed her to a QH stud to get some half draft colts to sell. If they got their dam's personality they would be fantastic family horses for trail riding and such.
Hope she went to a good, loving home.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a grade QH gelding, my heart horse, that just loved people! When we were at shows, and I walked away for a while, I would return to find people clustered around his stall! They would be full of praise for his beauty, and tell me how he whinnied right at them so they just HAD to come over to visit with him :rofl:
What a mooch! He knew EXACTLY what he was doing!

·
Registered
Dreama - rescue from the local dog pound. Some type of gaited horse mix of unknown history.
430 Posts
Dreama isn't much of a people person, not that she's been around that many. But generally if it's not someone she has a little bit of respect for they might as well be invisible.

But she loves children... the barn owner couple's little wild boys can do things and get away with it that make my jaw drop sometimes but they're not strangers by now. The first time she met them she was stalled and they went rolling through the barn with their toy dump-trucks, and I'd never seen her look at humans with as much interest as she looked at those two children playing.

The first time she heard the barn owners' new baby cry inside the barn a few months back, it was so sweet and funny.

Wife BO was trying to do something at the other end of the barn that she needed both hands for and sat baby down on a blanket for 20 seconds and of course baby starts squalling. I had Dreama tied, brushing her. She froze, put her head and ears up, but not in that tense "something's about to eat me and I'm about to turn tail and run" kind of way. She gets this positively worried look on her face, starts bobbing her head toward the noise and pawing. It looked like she was saying, "Listen, you know you've gotta pick her up right? Pick that baby up! Nurse her, rock her, do SOMETHING, don't you HEAR her?"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.