The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my qh gelding got bit by a dog while I was leading him out if his pen. The dog come out of nowhere, lounged at his throat but thank god got his neck. My boy chex didn't even move a muscle when the dog latched on and was dangling off him till he finally let go. The wound didn't look to bad but and emergency vet call was made and Chex ended up with a few stitches. The dog is now being put down. I'm heart broken cuz the dog was actually and amazing family dog. It all happened so fast. I'll post pictures later since I'm on my phone and have no idea how to do if from here.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

Glad your Horse was not hurt worse.

Did the dog have a rabies tag? I sure hope the dog was current on his rabies shots.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
To be honest, it sounds horrible and I hope Chex recovers without event. Did the vet boost tetanus? For the dog, its probably a better thing that its euthanized. Attacking a horse is really, really strange. To go for the throat on a horse is weird. That is the sort of drive and intensity that could seriously injure a human. I am not saying the dog is aggressive towards people, but if a human got between the dog and its animal "prey" it would be bad. Don't feel too bad about the dog, the people should have controlled it better. Dogs, don't go from doing nothing to attacking a large animal like a horse overnight. I would bet that this dog has killed or seriously injured other smaller animals.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both dog and chex are all updated on all their shots. It happened so fast. Right after chex went to another dog that was there and was giving it kisses. Chex was a total gentleman the whole time.. I guess the dog has chased the horses before and got its butt kicked. I'm just happy chex is good and hasn't showed any sign of being afraid of dogs. The vets said that the stitches need to be removed in 10 - 14 days. She was very impressed with how well chex handled the whole situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Sorry to hear that but glad it's ok, could of been so much worse. Tragic about the dog but I agree something wasn't right for it to just lunge at his throat out of nowhere.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's sad but once it attacked and went for the throat, it pretty much is game over for him. I could see going after the legs to start a chase and the odd nip but he full out was going to the kill on chex. Chex didn't even know what was going on. Poor guy didn't even jump back or nothing when the dog came at him
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.