The Horse Forum banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
A friend took up riding in his 40's. Did numerous clinics with Parelli instructors. The man has wonderful patience and does great groundwork with his horses, but, his riding skills left something to be desired. He was on a 3yr old and wasn't listening to this colt he'd ridden a dozen times. By ignoring warning signs they got into a wreck. The colt was fine but he was seriously injured. Unless his testosterone was in high gear, with two younger women watching, I was surprised he didn't twig into the colt's signals as he was very good at reading them when doing groundwork.

·
Registered
294 Posts
OP writes:
I took the one star instructor course in Colorado in August of 2009, while there Parelli enticed me to take the two star course even before I had my year in as a one star instructor. I took the two star instructors course in Florida, February 2010. My expenses for both was approximately $20,000.00 plus weeks of training.
If you due the math that works out to $10,000USD per Star rating. Currently there are 6 Star ratings not including the Junior/Trainees rating per the Parelli web site. So conceivably at 2010 pricing you would have to pay a minimum of $60,000USD to continue to use the Parelli name. Within the web site it is clear as you read between the lines and strangely enough is actual printed is a “never ending” pay to play attitude.

I checked out the “”About Professionals” There appears to 5 colored balloons the represent Star ratings 1 thru 5. One colored balloon doubles for the Junior/Trainees rating. I did not see but may have missed a sixth color to represent Star rating for 6. But there is a sixth color to represent those professionals in a Star rating flux. Meaning their star rating does not match their written profile.

I spent a half hour or so going through the web site to get a feel of what Parelli is selling. I found the ad content to read more like a Church or self help web site. Replete with..., how should I say, Parelli Speak? The strange word usage of license, savvy and program rely caught my eye. I found it all very cult like.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
What I noticed about the program was that it went only so far and stayed that way. Then liberty was added. Another hook to get your money.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
OP writes:

If you due the math that works out to $10,000USD per Star rating. Currently there are 6 Star ratings not including the Junior/Trainees rating per the Parelli web site. So conceivably at 2010 pricing you would have to pay a minimum of $60,000USD to continue to use the Parelli name. Within the web site it is clear as you read between the lines and strangely enough is actual printed is a “never ending” pay to play attitude.

I checked out the “”About Professionals” There appears to 5 colored balloons the represent Star ratings 1 thru 5. One colored balloon doubles for the Junior/Trainees rating. I did not see but may have missed a sixth color to represent Star rating for 6. But there is a sixth color to represent those professionals in a Star rating flux. Meaning their star rating does not match their written profile.

I spent a half hour or so going through the web site to get a feel of what Parelli is selling. I found the ad content to read more like a Church or self help web site. Replete with..., how should I say, Parelli Speak? The strange word usage of license, savvy and program rely caught my eye. I found it all very cult like.
I know someone with 4 star that has spent well beyond 100k

·
Registered
804 Posts
What is the money spent for? And who will be the students? And what is being copied? Questions to be asked. Certifications which only fall under one person's whim (rather than national touch points) are problematic at best.

·
Super Moderator
22,858 Posts
$20,000 ! :shock::shock::shock:
Imagine what you could do with that.... $384 a week for a whole year... you could almost have daily lessons for that!

·
Super Moderator
22,858 Posts
Agreed. If Parelli IS a black belt, he's sparred with enough humans to be able to give a sidekick to a HUMAN without hurting him. If he isn't trained, then he won't be ABLE to sidekick a horse enough to hurt the horse...even trained, that would be tough.
Good point! But since when has hitting horses(with foot, hand, whip... not talking beating them of course) been seen as grounds for cruelty charges??? If it were, there'd be bazillions of people charged. And what of the horses that cruelly kick their people??

As for the contract, it all depends ON the contract. If the contract requires continuing education or gives Parelli the right to remove certifications for XYZ,
That's exactly what it says(including trips to Colorado from wherever you are in the world), so in agreeing to become a Parelli instructor in the first place, that's what OP agreed to. So IMO there is no legal case. Seems OP may just not have read, or taken seriously, what she agreed to.

I reckon there are enough legitimate criticisms about Parelli without calling foul about.... drinking the Koolaid without looking at the ingredients.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
We have the same irritant. A corollary is those who complain about the advertisements in the TV shows (complainers, hit your fast forward button!) because without lots of ads, there would be no show.
Well, I'm grateful that in Australia we have the (no-ads, taxpayer-funded) ABC. And funny how the commercial channels rarely have intelligent programmes worth watching. And the odd good movie is always nicer watched uninterrupted on a hired or purchased DVD! :)

I'm going to put out a corollary: No customers for gossip rags = no funding for paparazzi and so-called journalists, and no financial rewards for invading people's privacies and making up stories about them, plus less funding for advertisements that were created to perpetuate and extract money from people's insecurities, e.g. about personal appearance, or sell unhealthy foods etc. I reckon Screwtape has lots of underlings in advertising! (And politics, public policy etc, for that matter.)

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Captain--Whether or not her business takes a turn for the better or worse may not be the point, but isn't it better to prepare yourself to move forward than dwell on the past? xD

Joel--As far as someone being "more gifted, harder working, or and more willing to take risks." That's simply not the case; welcome to the 21st century where it often takes more than the above to become wildly successful.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The Parelli philosophy is not about 'relationships'. It's about $$$$$! Buahahaha (see what i did there)

With all that dedication and instruction I bet you are a great teacher even without savvy certification.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Done with Parelli

There are a number of areas where continuing education is required: nursing, preparing taxes, legal fields, etc. In a case like this, it would all depend on the contract - which none of us but the OP has seen. There is this statement on his website:

"Staying updated is an important part of being a Licensed Parelli Professional."

What is a Parelli Professional? | Parelli Professionals
Thanks for your post...
I was continuing my education by attending courses, special clinics, assisting courses at Parelli's and assisting higher ranking instructors.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Done with Parelli

Per our contract... I did keep up on my education... Assisting at Parelli ranch, assisting higher ranked instructors, taking higher level courses and clinics.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Done with Parelli

There are a number of areas where continuing education is required: nursing, preparing taxes, legal fields, etc. In a case like this, it would all depend on the contract - which none of us but the OP has seen. There is this statement on his website:

"Staying updated is an important part of being a Licensed Parelli Professional."

What is a Parelli Professional? | Parelli Professionals
What license to teach was suspended? You don't need a license to teach. Maybe you mean permission to use his name related to your business? You may get more business without the Parelli name.

Hi, Parelli calls it a license and charged us $1300.00 bucks a year for it. Parelli also calls us Parelli Licensed Professional.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Done with Parelli

Can you tell us a little more about what it would have taken to qualify at Level 4 On Line, Liberty, and Freestyle? You say "many many one and two star instructors" suffered the same fate as you. Were there also one and two star instructors who retained their status? What did they do differently than you?

It is not unheard of for any type of professional organization to increase requirements for membership. Attorneys, physicians, public school teachers, pilots and many others are subject to loss of certification due to not meeting new requirements.

Knowing more about what you were expected to accomplish in that 13 months would help us understand whether what you suffered was fraudulent or unfair.
Level 4 is Performance level... Riding bridle less and doing transitions, Flying lead changes, jumping, circles, then in bridle dressage moves, Online playing with you horse out on the end of 45' rope having him circle at walk trot canter - trailer load -jump obstacles - flying lead changes. your horse at Liberty in an open space doing the above maneuvers...too name a few. Very high level of horsemanship.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Done with Parelli

The Parelli philosophy is not about 'relationships'. It's about $$$$$! Buahahaha (see what i did there)

With all that dedication and instruction I bet you are a great teacher even without savvy certification.

Thank you for you kind words...

41 - 60 of 118 Posts