The Horse Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just returned from the National Western Stock Show. They have more donkeys and mules than horses on the final day...but what I have been noticing over the years is the way they clip them. They always leave a little tuft of hair on the tips of their ears. What is the reason behind this? I did some googling but can't seem to find an answer.

Here is a picture of one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I think it is just for looks... But sure is cute!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Donkeys have a lot of thick ear hair. When they clip their ears, they just leave the little tip. It's uber cute. And serves no purpose aside from being uber cute. :D

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
And they do things called bell tails also!

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
And they do things called bell tails also!

I know what these symbolize!!!!! Means the level of training a pack mule has, ok I don't know how many bells means what I forget. So maybe those funny tufts on the ear mean something. Anyways on a mulestring, the bells are important info.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know what these symbolize!!!!! Means the level of training a pack mule has, ok I don't know how many bells means what I forget. So maybe those funny tufts on the ear mean something. Anyways on a mulestring, the bells are important info.
It says on the bottom of the picture haha

But oh my god that's cool too! Haven't seen any in person.

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Dang, that's what I get for doing these posts at work, but I did know it!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I thought the poms were left to help protect the ends of the ears during fly season ?

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
how adorable! Now I need to go clip poms onto James and Pedro's ears >:D

Reactions: Skyseternalangel
1 - 13 of 13 Posts