The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping out my grandma who isn't at all tech savvy. She wants to possibly find a fly sheet for her standard jenny. Every summer the donkey rubs her face and chest just about raw because of either allergies or flies. They've been to the vet, been on steroids, tried numerous topical things, and nothing seems to help. A fly sheet and mask might work and help stop the itching. I just don't think they make those sheets for donkeys. I guess you'd just measure the donkey and order that size? It'd be closer to a pony size if anything.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I think we're not supposed to post links (?) But I found a website called donkeywise that has links to places that carry donkey goods. On their front page they have instructions for measuring for a sheet (and saddle!).

Reactions: SueC

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
Pony and minis sizes might work...

Try looking at www.sstack.com and see what they have as extensive inventory for all sizes is a understatement.:smile:
:runninghorse2:...

Reactions: SueC

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Years ago we had terrible trouble getting a donkey turnout. They're just a different shape to ponies. Ended up using a 4' pony rug with darts stitched all around the front, which worked ok-ish apart from the depth - she looked like a blue rip-stop cube with four little legs sticking out at the bottom!

A fly fringe worked best in that department. Masks needed cutting through over the poll to attach a velcro strap for fitting, and even then the ear-holes were in the wrong place. Ear covers might be a problem because of the articulation needed.

I hope you find there's more donkey-specific stuff on the market nowadays.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Will the donkey tolerate having stuff rubbed on it? If it will you can mix Vaseline and powdered sulfur together to make a slimy yellow goop that anywhere you rub it on the animal insects will not go and because of its texture it sticks in place for days and water doesn't wash it off as neither Vaseline nor sulfur are water soluble. You can even rub it around their ears etc. just not their eyes. If you do this to a horse just make sure you don't rub it anywhere your saddle goes or your cinches go and so on. Works really well for rubbing on equines chests that get bit up badly by flies there. I do this for my horses anywhere riding tack doesn't go on them and I fly spray the parts that do. Works incredibly well for all manner of insects. It will also kill a ton of different types of fungal problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.