Don't Need No Stinking Ramp:)

2457 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  trailscout
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok. Finally was able to go back and make this public in case you tried to watch and was noted to be private. Thought it to be pretty cool how effortlessly the horse loaded into that tall truck.

Reactions: Kalraii

· Registered
1,164 Posts
That is a good horse to load like that, must do a lot of trailering.
The only problem I can think of is when he jumps out and if the floor of the truck is at all slippery his hind feet can slip on him and maybe pull something. I have seen this happen with lower jumps so could happen here.
A lot of stock trucks and trailers have cattle panels laid on the floor to keep animals from slipping. My cowboy husband when he was in the Dakotas saw horses on country roads just riding in the back of pickups looking over the top of the cab.

· Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jumping into the back of a pickup, even a 4wd, is one thing, but into/onto a tall flatbed is something. I built a horse rack for my pickup and mentioned to some ranch people that knew my horse about how I was thinking about a step/ramp. They laughed and said Keno won't need no ramp.

Our ranch string does this.
In a pickup, full sized flatbed, or both?

· Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here ya go.

· Super Moderator
11,153 Posts
Jumping into the back of a pickup, even a 4wd, is one thing, but into/onto a tall flatbed is something. I built a horse rack for my pickup and mentioned to some ranch people that knew my horse about how I was thinking about a step/ramp. They laughed and said Keno won't need no ramp.

In a pickup, full sized flatbed, or both?
3/4 and 1 ton pickups. Full-size flatbeds won't fit in some of the places we go either. Heck, sometimes the pickups can't go, but we knock off as many miles as we can.

· Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have constructed a nice horse rack (to me) with a top and front overhang for just the purpose of getting to areas I'd like to ride without using up all the riding time by just getting there. It needs a little more work but not much. When I get caught up around here I still plan to use it.

I've also thought about using it and a horse trailer along with a small motorcycle to do one-way rides on the horse. Leave the horse in the trailer at the end of the ride and motorcycle back to the truck, then come back to the trailer that was left at the end of the ride. There's a lot of longer one way trails I'd like to ride where that would work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.