Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
I have a double dilute mare, she's a smoky cream, and i was told by her breeder that she is more sensitive to light, and that they see in "HD" like because of the pigmentation of their eyes. I'm curious to know if it's true or not, i have noticed she is more sensitive on bright sunny days, and is very sensitive to everything on those days. She does have a tendency to spook on such days too. Has anyone else noticed this with their double dilutes? If you have any cool facts to share about them, feel free! I'm always interested in learning something new!
Thanks!:)

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I do notice my cremello blinking a bit more when it's very sunny, but I've never had him spook on a bright sunny day. He very rarely spooks at all, though.

I don't think it would be much different than human eyes. I have brown eyes, but my blue-eyed husband always claims that he's more sensitive to light because of his eye color. Whether that's true or not I'm not sure :p

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She only seems to spook when she can't "see" whats in front of her either from a glare, or sheer brightness of the day. She hates cars because they "glare" and it bothers her. I have green/blue eyes, and some days the light bothers me and others not so much.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a cremello mare and I would recommend using a fly mask on yours, full face, if she is outside during the day to help keep the sun out of her eyes and protect her nose from burning. I wasn't told until it was too late that their eyes are much more sensitive to the sun and are very susceptible to UVitis. My mare has lost sight in both eyes from it but still does well. Had I known this 18 years ago when I got her, we may have been able to prevent it with the simple mask, or by keeping her inside during the day.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
My stallion doesn't like his fly mask. He takes it off every chance he gets. So, he gets to say in on very bright days. He gets sunblock on his nose and around his eyes everyday, rain or shine. Funny true story, he's got champagne taste. When I buy the Bull Frog or Banana Boat Sun Block, he doesn't mind me putting it on. I bought him a bottle of No Ad 45 Sun Block and he HATES it. I tell him that I will NOT order Piz Buin from Switzerland for him, I don't care how much of a fit he throws.

He only spooks if something surprises him. Which happens fairly regularly because he kind of zones when we're out riding. He'll get into the rhythm of the ride and he almost falls asleep. When he wakes up in a new place, he jumps. It's hysterical. But none of that is because of his vision, it's just him. When he's not zoning out, he never spooks at anything.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's already 8 years old, i'v only had her since June. I did finally get her a fly mask that will fit her big noggin. For being a mountain horse she has a rather large head. I'm not sure if her previous owner ever put a fly mask on her ever, she was allowed free run of a barn though. I'll be sure to keep a fly mask on her on super bright days, i have to do the same with my paint mare too since around her eyes is pink rather than black.
I think she may do the same thing, i rode her out on my dirt road, and we came across some rocks that are red in color, and she never noticed them until she was right on top of them, and then she spooked and sidestepped to get a better look at it.
I was surprised when her breeder told me that they see in "high definition" because of they're eyes. They're much more sensitive to light, and i'm guessing color too...I'll have to try sunblock on her too...though i'm not a fan of it myself (i burn all the time too)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.