The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...it’s me again. A few days ago I told my parents I don’t want a horse this year,that I still want one,just not this year.

I’m kind of worried that it will take over my childhood,I suppose. Worried that I won’t have time to do ANYTHING else. Driving to see it seems a lil annoying,I know boarding is nice,but I’m an introvert so the thought of having to be around people to see my horse seems stressful and I’m worried people will think I do everything wrong.

I guess the doubts started with the money. Horses aren’t cheap. My family likes vacations and I’m worried they won’t be able to do them because of something “I” wanted. I would work off part of board,which adds time.

I love dogs,and would like another one,but how am I going to find the time to spend time with the dog I have,train another puppy to be a well behaved dog and take care of and ride my horse,along with working off board?

I’m worried come summer I’ll get the horse bug again...then what? Did anyone have any of these feelings before getting a horse? How did it work out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,085 Posts
Do you have a way to ride and spend time around horses that doesn't require you to own one?

You could take lessons, even a couple a week, for a lot less than it costs to own your own. You wouldn't have the same level of commitment, time-wise or money-wise, but you'd still get all the "best bits" by riding with instruction. If you wanted to learn more about horse care, you could volunteer some time, too. Or ask that your lessons include some care instruction as well.

There are loads of options that don't require ownership! I don't own a horse right now, and I'm riding more often that I did when I DID own one!!

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Can't say as I ever felt that way. I've always felt the time spent with my horses is better than doing anything else.

I see them twice a day, every day. Rain, shine, sleet or snow I am taking care of my horses. I do take vacations, but hire someone to take care of them while I am gone.

If you don't want a horse because you feel other things are more important and you don't want to use your time to be with your horse, you probably shouldn't own a horse.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Why not just lease a horse, maybe even just for a few months, and see how it goes? You'll get a better idea if horse ownership is really for you or not. And you don't have to worry about selling it if it doesn't work out.

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think they are all very valid feelings and to have them does not make you any less of a horse lover or rider.

I don't own. I just take lessons. I would like to take more lessons than I currently do, and I would like to lease, but neither of those are options right now. And with my life as it is right now, I don't want to own as I don't have the time or money to fully do horse ownership as it deserves and as I would want to do it plus to have the other things in my life that I enjoy. That does not mean that I would not enjoy horse ownership and everything it entails if I had the time and money for it, my life is just not right for it right now.

Go with your gut. There is no rush. Enjoy horses in another way and enjoy being a child and your dog and maybe future puppy.

As a fellow introvert, I also totally get not wanting to have to talk to people to go and hang out with your horse in a boarding situation.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone,sorry I wasn’t able to leave a longer reply earlier. I think I’ll see if I can board at my friends small horse barn and just wait until the horse and situation feel right. I’m a worrier and glad to see these feeling aren’t 100% out of the ordinary.

I went to a new barn to take a lesson,had a horse that I didn’t feel right on at all,it was my first time on a Tennessee Walker and I found it odd and uncomfortable compared to quarter horses. So I guess I panicked a bit and felt...dumb. Which led me to doubt,which led to this post because I was so confused.

Thanks all!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.