The Horse Forum banner

DOver catalog?? (not sure where this goes)

2968 Views 26 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  farmpony84
In the summer we always go to Maine and I intend to stop by in New Hampshire to visit the Dover there this year. Now I read on some forums that if you have their catalog, you can get many more sales or something? Because there are coupons and sale prices in it??

I live in Canada so it isn't free, there is a 7.50 S&H charge. I want to know if it's worth ordering it.

I intend to buy: riding socks (those coolmax things), a pair or two of breeches (depending how much they are), maybe a show shirt if they are super cheap, new half chaps, riding gloves if they are a good price, like 3 crops because I keep loosing them. :?
And a few more grooming brushes.

Will it be worth it to get the catalog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Super Moderator
27,780 Posts
I wonder what it would cost to mail you one? I just threw on away but I get them pretty often....

· Registered
8,174 Posts
I went to the Dover store in Rhode Island and don't remember seeing any sale signs. I have a feeling their sales are better if you order from the catalog or online. Dover sends those catalogs out like candy. I must get 20 of those each year. There are sections in it where there are sales that I don't see online. I usually find the stuff I want in the catalog and then use the ID# online to get the sales price. I'm sure Dover would have no problem sending you a catalog.

· Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wish I could order online but regretfully shipping is so much that it's hardly worth it in the end. :(

Sooo, can you use the catalog ID# in store when you buy?

Worse case I'll just mope around their basement where all their last stock equipment is and try to find deals there.

· Premium Member
51,810 Posts
Hidalgo,

I apologize. I assumed that the coupons would also be online. I should have looked before saying that, But honestly, wouldn't they be online , too?
I know that you can sign up online to have a catalogue sent to you, and that would be something to do pronto. there might be some coupon codes?

I order online sometimes, but usually just go to my local tack shop. They may charge about 2% more but I get to see the thing and try it on, and I support a local business that cares about equestrian activities in OUR community.

· Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I apologize. I assumed that the coupons would also be online. I should have looked before saying that, But honestly, wouldn't they be online , too?

Haha it's ok. :) Ya I would expect them to have them online as well! Oh well. :(

I order online sometimes, but usually just go to my local tack shop. They may charge about 2% more but I get to see the thing and try it on, and I support a local business that cares about equestrian activities in OUR community.

I wish my tack shop was a little more... local. All the tack shops are farish from me.

Al

· Registered
3,325 Posts
I ordered stuff from Dover right around Christmas, and I regret getting some of the stuff I did. There was no point in shipping it back, because it was expensive enough to have it all shipped to Canada in the first place. The pants I got I ended up not liking (winter breeches) because the liner goes down far enough that I wouldn't be able to wear my half chaps with them. However, the coats that I got were all fine.

You are probably better off getting the stuff in the store (clothing wise) so that you can try it on and make sure that it fits. If you are stopping there anyways, it will be worth the trip. But you can get all of that here too, so you should really look at prices and the conversion of the CDN to US dollar and make sure you are actually getting a deal.

I live in Kitchener (near Toronto) and shipping was $50+.

Was going to ask where you live, but it says Canada....so that could be a completely different province. Have you ever used Greenhawk? I bet they are just as good as Dover, but would be more local to you, so could possibly have a better shipping price for you.

· Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live in Montreal. I go to the Greenhawk in Boucherville because it's the closest to me. There are some other tack shops off the Island in the West, but they are very expensive. My barn has a tack shop and there is no tax (hehe, the benefits of having a barn on an indian reserve), but they don't carry THAT much and also have very expensive, high end products. I was looking at their show clothes and I nearly toppled over when I saw that a show shirt was like 100$. Not exactly in my budget.
I bought a really good winter riding coat on sale there though.

I love Greenhawk, but they don't always carry certain items I want ... and sometimes they do but not for the price I want lol. :)

The exchange now is really good so I am not worried about that.

· Registered
3,325 Posts
LOL. Mississauga is right close to me actually, which is nice. I'm lucky and have several stores around within an hour.

Have you checked out Equestrian Factory Outlet? They have one in St. Lazare (48 minutes from Montreal according to google). EFO Home I dont like their pants as they are more Euro style, and seemed to all be a thin material....but I got a brand new show jacket and shirt for about $250ish.

I know it still isn't close to you, but there is a tack store in Ottawa called Apple Saddlery (Apple Saddlery)

Bahr's Saddlery is close to me, but some of their prices are better then Greenhawk, so you could take a peek at them as well. Bahr Saddlery Tack Equestrian Store Horse Supplies Equipment Saddles Bridles Apparel Breeches

Depending on what you buy anywhere...the shipping isn't going to be cheap....but it is most likely going to be cheaper then having it brought up from the states.

· Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BUt about the Equestrian Factory Outlet... how is it like? What do they carry and what are the prices? ANything about it would be cool. Just EVERYTHING you can think of. :)

I want to make sure it would be a trip worth making. St-Lazare is the English horse world of my area, adn there are other tack shops I know of around there, so if I go out there I might check the others for fun. :)

· Registered
23,909 Posts
I get their catalog every month, but every time I go there in person price is exactly the same as in catalog. What I like about Dover though sometime they have awesome close-outs. Like I bought pair of open front boots for $40 (original price was close to $200) and such. It's not often (only if you get lucky), but there is still a chance. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.