The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a Percheron that is five years old and still growing. He is estimated to be around 20.5 or more hands when he is finished growing. And around 3000 - 3500 lbs. My friend says this is the largest horse he has ever seen, and he has been around horses all his life (he's a senior citizen now) Max has givin me permision to come over and take pictures and I will as soon as I am able and can catch him home. I'm anxious to post pics of this giant. :D

My question is: How large is large? :? Do they really get this big? :shock: How large is the largest horse you have seen or owned?

·
Registered
735 Posts
First off, if you mean 20 and 1/2 hands, it would be written 20.2 (a hand is 4 inches, and the 2 is 2 inches, or 1/2 of a hand.)

At 5, how tall is he currently? Some horses (drafts especially) DO grow a bit after 5, but he must already be gigantic if the estimated finished height is 20.2 hands. 20.2 hands is HUGE, even for a draft horse, and it is especially tall for a Percheron as they are not one of the taller draft breeds.

The current (as of Sept. 2009 i think) tallest living horse as recognized by Guiness World Records is 20 hands tall.
They said he was 18 hands at 18 months old!
Remington claims title as world's tallest living horse | Horsetalk - International horse news

Here he is with a 5 foot 8" handler--

There is another horse named Poe that the owners feel is taller (unofficial measurement is 20.2 hands) but he has not yet been measured by Guiness yet--

Both of the above big guys are Clydesdales, according to the news articles.

Soooo, if the big guy you are going to see DOES top out at 20.2, he may be in the running!

When you go get pics (can't wait!) can you measure him, or estimate current height? I have a little spot by my basement stairs where I drew 4" increments so I can tell how many hands tall I am (or my chin is, or my collarbone is, or the top of my head is, etc. ) wearing various footwear-- for example with my everyday workboots on, a 16 hand horse would be as tall as my eyebrows. (Yeah I know, the wall chart is a bit obsessive, LOL)

As far as my tallest horses--
I raised a Percheron/TWH cross gelding that made 17.1 hands as an adult, and he was taller than either parent at maturity. (TWH dam was 16 hands, Percheron sire was 16.3.) I currently own an Appaloosa mare who is 16.2+ and I have owned two other Appaloosas who were 16.3.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't know heights but i've seen some really big belgians and shires. Though i've been told that Shires are the largest (height wise) of the draft breeds.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a 5 1/2 yr old Belgian that's 18.2 hands the last time I measured him. He has pretty much stopped growing up now he's just growing out.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Just a little horse trivia, the biggest horse in the world was a Percheron named Dr Le Gear. He stood at 21hh and weighed 3024lb (1,372kg). Now that is a big horse!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I have a book that is not that olf maybe 5 to 7 years old and it syas that the highest horse on record (at that time) is 20hh, so he is a big boy!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Max is probably around 5'9, 5'10 and when he stands next to this big guys front leg there is around 6-8" from the top of Max's head to the top of the withers.:shock:
I'm going to try to catch him today and get pics. He'll be excited to know that he may end up with a record holder.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Wow! There's a shire mare who is around 20 hds at 4, I'll have to see if I can find her again.

I bought a draft cross colt who is now 18 hds, never expected that!

Hope to see pictures!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
First off, if you mean 20 and 1/2 hands, it would be written 20.2 (a hand is 4 inches, and the 2 is 2 inches, or 1/2 of a hand.)
Thats how it goes it the horse world. I was pondering that the other day, its really not correct. The 20-is in hands, the .2-is in inches, you can't technically mix measurement systems. So 20.5 is actually technically correct. We horse people very much enjoy confusing nonhorsey people.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK. Here's the pics of this giant, and his friends.

I wish that Max would have been around when I got there to get him out and stand next to him to show you his size. This giant doesn't have a mean bone in his body, but I still wouldn't get out someone else's horse with out them there. The rest of the horses are Max's other pulling team.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
>>>> First off, if you mean 20 and 1/2 hands, it would be written 20.2 (a hand is 4 inches, and the 2 is 2 inches, or 1/2 of a hand.)

>>>> I was pondering that the other day, its really not correct. The 20-is in hands, the .2-is in inches, you can't technically mix measurement systems. So 20.5 is actually technically correct. We horse people very much enjoy confusing nonhorsey people.

The practice of measuring horses in hands and inches (each inch being a fraction of a hand), and putting the whole hands measurement to the left of the "." and the fraction of a hand, the inch measurement, to the right of the ".", IS correct-- for this particular old, established, traditional measurement system. Doing this is NOT mixing measurement systems-- the "." is meant to seperate the two measurements recognized in ONE system (hands and inches) rather than to be used as a decimal point to denote that "proper" decimal fraction will follow....

"Hands.Inches" has been a working and well understood system for 100's, maybe 1000's, of years, and IMO it is easier and simpler to teach it correctly as it has been customarily used than it would be to try and convert a part of the system over to "proper" decimals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_(length)

The "Hand" Measurement for Horses

Measure Horse Height Accurately

How to Measure a Horse | eHow.com

OnlineConversion.com - Horse Height Conversion

Horseracing History Online - Education : Measuring a Horse

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please do not hi-jack this thread for a dispute. This thread is a post about my friends horse, not about who's right and who's wrong and conversions and how to measure. Please put all that in your own thread.

Thank You :)

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
well those belgians are gorgeous!!!! and it's funny how they little bitty chain will keep that huge horse in there haha. beautiful horses!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sorry--I thought it was relevant because if we are using different terms and figures to measure, then its pretty tough to accurately discuss how tall these big guys are... and know how they stack up as compared to world records and such. But I didn't mean to hi-jack.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts