The Horse Forum banner

dragging hind feet

6209 Views 29 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  toosexy4myspotz
He drags his back hind feet to the point where there are squared off. Im not sure what else to do. Vet says he's just lazy. I do have video

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Banned
3,880 Posts
Submit the video. The picture you posted says a million things right now:p

I would be interested if anyone has an educated helpful response, because we have a horse at the barn with really squared off front feet....the horse is sound....but I've never seen them quite so square before:shock:

· Banned
3,880 Posts
@EthanQ he is a Tennessee Walker, how would I correct this? @anebel Im not looking for a new horse...
Posted via Mobile Device
I think she was referring to your vet.......

· Registered
2,269 Posts
How old is your horse? What kind of history does he/she have (ie off the show circuit, from a trail ride area). Is this a new problem? What sort of examination did the vet do?

· Registered
2,291 Posts
@EthanQ he is a Tennessee Walker, how would I correct this? @anebel Im not looking for a new horse...
Posted via Mobile Device
I think Anabel meant a new vet. A vet should never look at a potential unsoundness as 'just being lazy'. I've seen lots of TWH's move like this, I don't fully understand why, perhaps something with loose tendons/muscles? I'm not a vet and have no idea. But what this picture is screaming to me is a horse saying "Yowch!" but it's hard to tell where the pain is coming from? Can you post the video?

· Registered
3,121 Posts
my gelding does this sometimes as well.. but only when he IS lazy. just walking around.. when Im on him he doesnt.. but I did ask my farrier about it.. he said he djust does it when his toes are too long:p

· Registered
2,291 Posts
Looking more at this picture and thinking about Barrel's response... I'm wondering if it has to do with foot length too. TWH's are positioned so they're sort of crouching a bit on the hind end, meaning they have to pick their feet up more dramatically to move their feet without hitting the ground. I'm not sure how to describe this, but it may be because he's too uphill and toes a little long? Still would like a video, hard to make a judgement like that on just 1 photo

· Registered
1,440 Posts
another thing, if he carried his head like that a lot. get that bit out of his mouth and use a simple o-ring snaffle. his nose should not be stuck out like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't hear him say anything about Kissing Spine. He is is flat shod all the way around. He doesnt trip alot he just drags them its like he's on his tippy toes vs actually sitting back on his toes when he walks. He is a 6 year old, no previous show history. I use him as a trail horse. Yes its fairly new. When I got him 2 years ago he wasn't doing it. The only thing that Im doing differently than what the previous owner does it I keep him in a stall.

Im posting the link to the video of him trotting. I can't upload it here because of the format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evR38ALvdsM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.