The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!! I've read through many posts here regarding tips on knots and such..BUT I am getting ready to bring home this beautiful boy whom unfortunately has quite the neglected mane. :? :shock: There are dreadlocks in it! :shock:Has anyone else dealt with a long beautiful dreadlocked mess like this before?

Should the soaking in baby oil/conditioner/elbow grease + extra extra time work for him as well?? Thanks in advance! :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I like the dog "slicker wire" brushes for tangled manes and tails. They are the flat , handled brushes with hundreds of little thin wire teeth. They do pull out a lot of hair but If you spray the mane with Show sheen and start working from the very ends up you should be able to eventually untangle it without losing TOO much. A dog mat remover will help cut through the worst ones, too . Be prepared to lose some of it though.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I'm cheap so I've always just used baby oil. It takes a lot of time, but you can get any knot brushed out. Just remember to start from the bottom and work your way up. I've dealt with a couple that it took more than one day to get it all brushed out.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
What everybody else said! :D

I would, however, avoid using a silicone based product - like Show Sheen.
The silicone actually coats the hair and doesn't allow it to "breath" which makes it even more dry and brittle.
I accidentally ruined my mare's mane with Show Sheen. I eventually ended up roaching it to undo the damage - it grew back beautifully! :)

Baby oil, human conditioner (I like Dove for my horses :lol:), etc, should work just fine.
He's gonna have some kind of gorgeous mane when you're done!! Post after pictures, please?! :D

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
My preference is corn starch which makes the hair slippery. I used it to detangle a rat's nest just below the dock. It was almost the size of a soccer ball. Working from the bottom of the "nest" and just using my fingers it took me about 30 min. Looked hilarious when I was done. The next day the tail was shampooed so the hair would lie down again. Try not to pull as that's what irks the horse and he'll start moving around. We get to see pics of when you're done - unwritten rule. lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We actually don't know too much about him to be honest! He was purchased young at a sale barn in North Missouri. Unsure of his breed (vet thought QH/Morgan possibly??) Was used to check cattle/fence/ect. The girl he belonged to brought him with her to college and he sat untouched for quite some time. He was actually boarded where I used to board. A friend of mine was looking for a horse and I felt bad for him so told her to check him out. She ended up buying him and now a few years later has too many so I've been riding him.

He's a very very sweet soul, I think he's looking for "his person" since he's been passed around and left out to pasture by most of his owners. I'm going to bring him home for a couple months, clean him up, take care of his feet (his feet need a major trim!) and see how he does with my gelding. He's a pleasure to ride and SO willing to please.

His gorgeous color, mane and tail don't hurt either :lol:

I don't have great photos of him, here's a couple more though :wink:

Wallaby..I'll make sure to post "after" photos! I can't wait to spend some time with him and get him all beautified :D

Attachments

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I went to visit a mare I used to know and was quite upset to find her shoulder length mane in the same state as the one pictured.

I took my own coconut oil and sprayed generously and let it sit. I then used my brush (just a regular human hair brush, that's what I always use for my horses) and fingers to detangle it. I was amazed at how well it worked. It was pretty easy to undo and did a fantastic job and the remainder was plentiful (would of been even better with more patience lol) and soft and healthy. Smelled good too lol.

I brushed it all out and spritzed show sheen before putting her back out.

I would absolutely recommend this and love that it's used on human dreadlocks too :)

That's definitely my new go-to.

Also recommend gloves... got 5 blisters the previous day from another mare (same place) that I didn't bother getting my gear together for. Just fingers and they knew it :/ I tend to get blisters from pulling so it was no surprise (I can't feel it beyond the normal rubbing pain..until later unless REALLY bad)

·
Registered
526 Posts
My horse had a giant knot in her tail so bad I swore we'd have to simply cut that part out but dousing it with Mane and Tail Detangler and using a strong comb, and of course starting from the bottom up, worked miracles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone!! I can't wait to get started (I'm sure I'll change my tune quickly lol!)

Yes, he's a stout boy! Have to watch his weight pretty carefully..he's much thinner than when my friend first bought him...he was quite a portly fellow haha!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I second the dog slicker brushes....get the biggest one you can find in the store...i use these loads on my boys' manes along with a long bristled mane and tail brush...my 4 boys 2 of them especially have these manes and tails that seem slightly curly and "dread up" by default...tails too and they are huge and long and coarse and always getting cockle burrs in them {i hate those things}. when im brushing, i start from the ends and slowly work my way up in sections but i dont brush too often because they get split ends...if there is a really bad tangle i would work it out or if really bad just cut it off before getting the hair wet...wetting tangles makes them worse in my experience...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts