The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I didn't exactly know where to put this thread so I just put it in horse talk...

Maybe this has been done before (I'm new!) but what would your dream horse be?

For me it would be a sport horse, probably Hanoverian or a Warmblood, with great conformation and a smooth gait. Dark bay, with golden dapples and a blaze. Wonderful jumper and quite brave and with a ton of sweet personality, but fairly easy to handle. Probably around 8 years old. Great at competing and super eye catching!

I'd love to hear what your dream horses would be! :apple:

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,085 Posts
It would soooo depend on the horse, for me, as I'm a big believer that something needs to really "click" when you meet and ride them.

However, based on some online ads, there was one a couple of years back that I keep thinking about. A real diamond in the rough. It was an Arabian/Oldenburg cross, chestnut mare. Just a super cool looking horse, with a great build and movement, who had just been a backyard pet and seemed super chill -- but sooooo much potential. If I were buying, and she were still available, I'd be onto that in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
The horse I have.

Because if she isn't, then I am always wishing for something better than her.
If she isn't, I'm not fully invested in making our relationship better, in smoothing out her flaws and bridging her gaps.
If she isn't, I am not truly acknowledging that the main reason she is not my ideal horse is because of my own riding and training weaknesses.

A wise old rancher told me once (about cow dogs) that the way to get the right dog is to make the dog you have, right.

I am as big a fantasist as you could meet, always future-dreaming. I'd like to own a grulla Lippitt Morgan (don't know that they even come in that color) with a rocking chair canter and a forelock that reaches her nose. I'd also like an indoor arena and a dressage instructor who lives next door.

But I am blessed beyond my imaginings with the horse I have and the place I have to keep her, so I'm going to build on that ....

Keep dreaming!

·
Registered
10,603 Posts
The horse I have.

Because if she isn't, then I am always wishing for something better than her.
If she isn't, I'm not fully invested in making our relationship better, in smoothing out her flaws and bridging her gaps.
If she isn't, I am not truly acknowledging that the main reason she is not my ideal horse is because of my own riding and training weaknesses.

A wise old rancher told me once (about cow dogs) that the way to get the right dog is to make the dog you have, right.

I am as big a fantasist as you could meet, always future-dreaming. I'd like to own a grulla Lippitt Morgan (don't know that they even come in that color) with a rocking chair canter and a forelock that reaches her nose. I'd also like an indoor arena and a dressage instructor who lives next door.

But I am blessed beyond my imaginings with the horse I have and the place I have to keep her, so I'm going to build on that ....

Keep dreaming!
This ^^^^ - especially the wise old cow dog rancher’s comment, as it applies to horses as well.

Looking for perfection is how some people go thru horses faster than rabbits have litters.

Find the horse that fits the general requirements for the job you want it to have and build on that.

That said and having owned horses for sixty years, my dream horse passed away November, 2014 at age 27. He came to live with me when he was coming three.

Did I know he was my “dream horse” when I looked at him? No but I knew he had something special in his heart and we built on that —

Just as @Avna ; has already alluded to - build - don’t expect “it” to be handed to you ——

·
Super Moderator
14,754 Posts
I have a dream horse...
He lives in my mind, fantasy of perfect in every way...
But I live in reality...
My one horse is a dream to own.
Sound, nicely put together, great personality, fun ride, smart and loves to try anything asked...
Neat in his stall, a dream to load and trailer...
The best though is he is my caretaker...I trust him with my life.
I love animals of all color, all breed...if it has mane & tail, 4 hooves and eats hay, I'm good!
I guess my "dream" horse is actually many of the horses I've owned or cared for in my life...
I've been blessed knowing/working with some spectacular animals and gave each a piece of my heart..
But my horses are my grounding to reality, I love them and they love me in their own special way shown.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I completely agree with Avna about finding your dream in what you have, but since I haven't had my own horse yet (a half lease is the most so far, and that's just not the same because she isn't mine and that's very limiting), my dream horse right now would be:

A 14 hand Icelandic mare with a sweet disposition, 8 years old, 5-gaited with very clear cues for each gait. An extremely smooth tolt for trail riding and nerves of steel. A rocking horse/not at all scary canter. Willing to take me over small jumps. A flowing mane and forelock. Color/markings is so hard as I truly love all of them, but maybe black with a white star. No issues with allergies from bugs, same ride if she sits a month or 2 days. Gets along with others so she can be in 24/7 herd turnout. Safe and predictable enough to put my little nephews on but with enough of a push button for me (not dead to the leg). Doesn't require shoes, calm for trailering and local shows.

Ok dream over, but I just fell in love with my imaginary horse. It also helped me decide which of those are absolute musts, and which I can be flexible on. : )

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand! I don't have a horse yet either, so I like dreaming about a so-called "perfect horse" which I know doesn't exist, it's just fun to dream. If I ever get a horse I will be super happy, wether it's a gelding or mare, dapple grey or chestnut. Really, any equine on four legs goes for me :)

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
What would your dream horse be?
When I was a kid it was a firey bright bay gelding. I got that - he was my first horse (Arabian Gelding) and I loved him.

All the horses I have had since have also been my dream horse. My dark bay 1/2 Arab Mare, my spicy sorrel Mare and my bubbly Palomino filly ... they have all escalated my horsemanship and brought me such joy and pleasure and have given me their hearts. I am truly blessed.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
No one is saying you can't be happy with what you have. I have the most wonderful Fox Trotter mare I wouldn't trade for anything! And I had most awesome Mustang gelding some years back that was absolutely the PERFECT horse for me.

But that doesn't mean we can't have a fantasy, does it? Sort of like I always drooled over Brad Pitt but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love someone else just as much or more (because I don't even know Brad, lol!) Brad Pitt is just my "fantasy" type of guy.

My fantasy type of horse used to be The Black Stallion. Yup, I love Arabians! But now my fantasy horse type of horse, since I discovered gaited horses, would be something that racks maybe about 14.3 but stocky, and either black or black/white pinto. So maybe a spotted saddle horse or a nice black Walker or Fox Trotter with a rack. Or maybe one of those black sabino Walkers I see on the internet.

That would be my current dream horse. :smile:

My dream horse would have a gait like this. And notice how when he DOES slow down (about 2:37 and also 3:48 in the video) he has a fabulous running walk that would be a dream trail gait. So yeah, I would take this guy! Or give him spots, that would work too. :Angel:

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,085 Posts
If I could have the horse I had in my early teens back, except sound and with BOTH canter leads, that would be my dream horse!!

15hh QH/Arab, flaxen chestnut with a blaze and two tall hind socks. Super duper bombproof, go-anywhere, do-anything horse, but with enough attitude in her that she required negotiations at times and improved my horsemanship. She was an absolute dream as a trail horse, was also a really lousy jumper (which is fine because I've never enjoyed it), and had been a gamer in her previous life, so had some real GO when you asked for it. Super stubborn at times. A total babysitter when necessary, but also a firecracker, haha. She was SUPER fun! Only ever picked up a right lead in canter, though, except for a handful of times. And was only sound for the first year I owned her. :/

·
Registered
755 Posts
A wiser person than I am described their family's journey to find a dog: "We weren't looking for a dog. We were looking for our dog." That's what I've taken into the times we've adopted our dogs - is this dog "ours"?

I think I could find a horse with all the qualities I could name and want (right size, good feet, willingness, experience to forgive a novice) and he or she still wouldn't be the right horse. I mean - Toby, Jasper, and Nugget are all good horses, though Jasper is too much of a challenge to be the sort of horse I would own. But I feel differently about Toby and Jasper than I do Nugget, and I don't know why.

So I guess my dream horse would be "husband safe", willing to try things, experience to forgive me being unclear, good on trails, good feet, strong legs, doesn't hate the ring. Not too young, not too old. (I set my searches at minimum 7 and max 17 or 18). I'm fond of dark bay (that all-over dark) and would sort of prefer not a chestnut/sorrel just because our barn has a bunch. And maybe not a white horse, because 350 days of the year they'd be a brown horse. (One time tho when I went to get a massage I got so relaxed that I caught an image of a white horse face with big, dark eyes, no horse I know, but quite distinctive. Maybe it was an omen.)

I suppose my dream horse right now is Toby, but of course, he doesn't belong to me and probably won't ever. So I will content myself with being able to ride him and learn from him.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Exactly as redbadger put it! When I look for pets,I look for my pet.

I’ve been on many lovely horses,but they could never be mine. I thought the “click” thing didn’t exist! Then I met Chester. BOOM. Done. Me wants. Mine. He’s my dream right now,no matter how wonky he is! My heart wants him,and my heart hasn’t been wrong yet. Best of all,my head mostly agrees! Lol!

But let’s say Chester didn’t exist...I would want a 16hh,jet black or chestnut with a blaze but I’m not picky on color. I’m becoming very partial to thoroughbreds,so one of those! I would want something goofy and goony! A go go attitude that’s always up for a good gallop and takes a bit to get him to stop. I would like him to be kind of unpredictable,keeping me on my toes. On the ground he would be sweet but overly nosy. Always getting into to things and always getting in the way! Big soft eyes and a thoroughbred face! Gelding,preferably. Not too hot,and no huge bucks or rearing!

Anyone know of a thoroughbred like that?👆

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
My dream horse is in my barnyard,his name is ice. Wouldn't trade him for the world, no amount of money could buy him. He's in my avatar love ,love ,love him.

He's not perfect, but he's still my dream horse.💖🤩

·
Registered
23 Posts
Though I love all of my beautiful babies, they are a bit older, and it's becoming an ever-approaching reality that they may not be around for much longer. If I could keep them forever, I would! However, when the time comes, my next (dream) horse would be a lazy low-maintenance draft (preferably an Ardennai or a Percheron). The bigger, the better! I have owned small high-strung horses my entire life, and I'm ready for something big, fluffy, and lazy. I'm not into shows or eventing in any way I'm just looking for a trail buddy which has proven to be extremely difficult; most of the drafts I find are purebred or working horses, but I don't want to pay upwards of 3000 for skills and bloodlines I will never use. I hope that doesn't make me sound cheap, but it's like paying for diamonds to only wear them around your house.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.