The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd throw this one out there for you to take a look at.

This guy is a 16.1hh 8 year old ottb gelding. He retired from racing in October 2009 and has been spelled since. Apparently very quiet to handle, great ground manners and very quiet. Has been used to nanny the young tb's on the property.
I'm looking at him as a bit of a project. I've been out of a horse for a year now and going reasonably insane as a result! With uni, I need something to keep myself away from the books once in a while. I really enjoy working with green horses (as long as they're not absolute nutters, then I get no pleasure and it's just a chore haha!) and think this guy sounds quite nice for me to do this with.

He retired sound, he has bled once but I'm not too worried about bleeders if it's only for dressage/pleasure.

What do you think of him??

He's not conformationally perfect, but I really like his type and he seems to have that lovely big floating uphill movement. I'll probably go up to see him in the flesh this week, I want to see his walk and canter, and see if I can get him out of his comfort zone, push him around on the ground and run him out a bit, see how he reacts.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I think he is beautiful...dapple greys are my all time favorite! can't critique,though...i have little to none critique skill :)

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you :) I think it's the solidness of him that I like, he's a very wb type tb. I'm not interested in the scrawny fine built tbs. I think that for what I want to do at the moment, he looks good. I do love my dressage and want to get back into being competitive again, don't have the time or money at the moment to spend on a real quality horse and the multitudes of coaching and entry fees that goes with it. I'm content to spend the next 3 years just playing around, improving my general skills and compete a bit here and there in local competitions. This guy seems to fit the bill pretty well.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
He isn't really as uphill built as I like, but otherwise I can see nothing with his conformation that is screaming at me. You may have some issues with power - the muscling in his hind is lacking compared to that in front.

So the horse can trot, great. You can get a good trot out of any horse with enough training. I personally like horses with a naturally less floaty stride and more hock action. He is pushing off with straight hocks. Look for a very uphill canter with good hock action and power. He should cover ground and not race around. For the walk look for something that is clearly 4 beat and doesn't lob along. It should not have too much over track. When you ride him, shorten the walk to see if he gets lateral.

I am not a huge fan of TBs myself, but he is a nice picture. Post vids!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nose bleeds are common in race horses, not a big deal unless it happens off the track. Being worked that hard ( racing) creates small capillary bleeds in the nasal passage and at times in the lungs, they heal quickly and normally cause no lasting damage. Nothing to be concerned with.

He is a very nicely built OTTB! Beautiful horse.

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
Other than he has bench knees and a splint on the left front (prpbably a result of the knees as that is what often happens) he should do basic dressage for sure.

The fault I mention may or may not be a problem but I would be probably more careful about that area.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beau baby, a bleeder is generally a racehorse, that as has been mentioned above, gets a nosebleed with strenuous work. Obviously, racehorses are under huge amounts of pressure thus i am not worried especially since it has only happened once in his career.

Anebel, yep he's got a nice trot, but as I said in the original post, I'll be going out there and want to see him walk and canter. It is so hard to improve walk and canter so I'll really be looking at him there. I can't ride before I buy as he has not been ridden since being ott so will need a fair bit of work before hand. Unless the owner is ok about me getting him under saddle before he sells, but again, I don't want to put the work into a horse that isn't going to work for me.
Will get video when I go to see him. Didn't ask for it when I enquired as he's only about 30mins from me so I might as well see him in the flesh ;)

Spyder, I'll certainly be checking that splint out and making sure there's no soreness there, but obviously I'm not too concerned if he can't piaffe/passage etc. as I'm only looking for something to play with and dabble in some lower level stuff, maybe up to elementary if I feel like it, just to keep me sane and getting out there haha!

Will post video after I see him, unless I hate him!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I must say, he looks like a really nice boy! I personally can't see anything wrong with his conformation. Nice and solid.

May I just ask a question...about his fore hooves? I don't know if it is normal, but I have noticed that there is a ring like groove on his hooves?

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, there is a chance he may have foundered, that is something else I'll be asking the owner. I also know the trainer and have a friend who works for him, so will be giving him a buzz soon and asking about his on track history. Racing tb's can founder fairly easily when feed changes, or possibly even when he was retired last year and put in the paddock. Depending on how fast his feet grow that could very well have occurred when he retired.
Definitely going to be something that I will be asking about, and having a closer look at when I see him.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
went to see him in person today. He is such a sweetheart!! The first thing I asked about were his feet. The people were very genuine and told me that the farrier that did them at the track had cut them back so badly that his front's were almost entirely flat to the ground and his heels were cut back terribly. Thus he went through a lame, stressed stage where he was near crippled on his fronts. The ridge in his fronts developed as a result. And I am buying that story from them.

Anyway, so I went to see him. He was in a big paddock and walked straight up to be caught. He was in with a 3 year old filly that was going off her nut, and he just stood calmly at the gate to get his rug off. I poked, prodded and pulled every conceivable area of him, stuck fingers up his nose, in his ears, covered both his eyes, hand in his mouth, played with his willy, inside of his hind legs, round the girth etc etc. He didn't flinch! Picked up all his feet, not a problem at all. The whole while he was standing there happily half asleep while the others were racing around (this is a serious racing stud!!). He is a very good doer, he was FAT :S Living just off meadow and a few pellets to keep him happy. Will be easy to get a saddle to fit him, he's very broad and has a good wither, not those horrible sky high typical tb withers thankfully.

I got the owner to take him into the round yard to run him around for me. Will on one side of him were about 7 race horses in a paddock and the other side where his paddock mates. ALL of them were going skits! All he did was have a bit of a head shake, little hump and didn't really give two hoots. Then as soon as the owner asked him to come back in he came straight in and stood there. He's a very quiet boy!! Has superb knee action, and lovely hocks. He could certainly sit on his backside with some more strengthening work. Every time he was asked to change direction, he would roll back onto his hindquarters and push off from them. Not once did he fall on the forehand.

Will be making an offer on him tonight. Definitely not going to go for the asking price, but I do really like him and think he will suit what I'm after.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, showed my coach photo's of him. She loves him. Will be up again tonight, going to throw a saddle and bridle on him and chuck the owner on him to see what he does. If he behaves I'll hop on and see what i think. He hasn't been ridden since he came ott so it will be a good test of temperament.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yay!
I totally like this horse. I think he is nicely put together. I am also a total sucker for the gray's..
From al that you have posted it sounds like a good thing for you and for him as well.
I cannot wait to hear how the ride will go. Some ottbs could care less even after a time period of being off. On the other hand some can be a bit "high" to say the least. That has been my experience.
Wishing you well....
keep us posted!
HP

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.