The Horse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've been looking for a saddle for my new horse. I have a saddle fitter who can adjust the saddle once I buy one. I have this demo saddle right now on trial and I really like it but something about how the panels sit on his back doesn't look right to me. It's like there's too much clearance on the back. The tree is a medium. I wonder if a different size tree would fit better or if this saddle could be adjusted to fit. If not does anyone have an recommendations on saddles I should look for to try? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

· Registered
678 Posts
@Aconite: Congrats on the the new horse. The ponez coloring is giving me an optical illusion as far as if it seems like that saddle may be a bit too foward. That picture that indicates the sensitive content is important for sure.

Has your saddle fitter commented on the pix or actual fitting?

There are a lot of really experienced folks on HF that can tell you more than I.

· Premium Member
51,913 Posts
I think the fit is good. there is a bit of upcurve in the back of the panels, but that is not a bad thing. It will allow for the back to move up into the saddle some.
That much of a cantle swoop, and thigh blocks, would not be my cup of tea, but to each his own. If you like it, and your horse moves well in it, then there's your answer!

oh, and I agree that it might be a half inch too far forward, but that's kind of hard to tell.

· Registered
2,761 Posts
I don't think I like how the panels are shaped for her back. It looks like there might be pressure points being created from the panel.

Can your fitter not come and evaluate the fit, and then adjust if they think it's a good fit?

· Super Moderator
18,767 Posts
The saddle needs to be better balanced cause it isn't helping your horse.
The panels are not flocked the same and that is a issue that can rear ugly ramifications if not addressed and quickly.

In this picture I'm not sure I see enough spinal clearance but a very close fit, maybe to close.
Building Helmet Beard Wood Event

Look super carefully....
🐴..

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses! I'm going to see if my saddle fitter will look at the pictures. It's hard to time getting him out when I only have the saddle for a few days. Are there any recommendations on what saddles I should look for that would be a better fit? For reference this is the Steffen Peters advantage saddle.

· Registered
2,761 Posts
Does you saddle fitter carry a range of demo saddles for you to try in person? That's how the one here is - I rode in three, and she gave me a listing of specific models and specifications I need for my mare.

Also, if they did a tracing of the horses back, it gives a really good understanding of how the horses back is shaped down the back. My tracing told me more than ever looking at the actual horse did.
Triangle Tree Circle Pattern Symmetry

· Registered
1,610 Posts
Good points by everyone, I think. It looks to me as if the saddle is positioned slightly forward, but if it goes back the front will drop a little and it's already pommel-low in terms of balance. I think it's also sitting to the nearside. It needs a re-balance in terms of the flocking which then ought to solve many of the panel issues, because the arch width seems about right.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My saddle fitter sadly doesn't have any demo saddles. He's not a rep for any company. For my last horse he never did a tracing. I had a really nice fitting saddle already that just needed to be reflocked so I was lucky in that situation. I can ask him about doing a tracing this time. I also wouldn't be buying the demo saddle as it goes back to Smart Pak. If I decided to get it I would likely buy it new unless I found a nice used one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts