The Horse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year my cousin asked us to take her Morgan mare, and we said yes. She is broke to ride/drive and this was the first time we hooked her up. Plus she hasn't been driven in years. I have ground driven her bunches to prepare her for it, but even then she listens so much bettern once she is hooked up compared to ground driving. So some pictures of us having fun driving around in the snow. It was cold... very, very cold. Compared to ground driving where we have to work hard to keep up with that little mare.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,175 Posts
Wholesome, healthy, horsey fun. Beautiful pictures, I thoroughly enjoyed looking at them, thank you for posting

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
hope you don't mind if I make some suggestions for a safer drive.

your shafts look like they could be raised a bit as they are slanting downward.

Your breeching needs to be brought up so you do not push her back legs out from under her. This looks particularly dangerous on snow vs dry ground.

The 4th picture looks to be a concern. Your saddle is way back, your girth is way forward and your tugs are way back. This looks like it could cause some discomfort and needs some adjustments.

The over girth should be attached to the tugs but it is way forward in picture 2 & 4

Her breast collar might need brought up a bit also

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Churumbeque - I am all for more experienced opinions. My dad and I have never had hands-on experience with driving horses, so we are new to it. This was our first time having her all hooked up and driving.

Next time we hook her up we will look out to make sure the harness is adjusted better. ^^ If anyone else has useful information I would greatly appreciate it. Just no bashing or trolling, hence constructive criticism.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.