The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it mean when a horse has a droopy bottom lip? Ive recently noticed that Sonya has occasionally been drooping her bottom lip and I was just wondering what it means. Its only now since the weather has gone 35+ degrees that she has been doing so i thought maybe the heat..or dehydration..or shes just relaxed..?

171262552_aa2e0e3f9a.jpg

Thats just a pic of what I mean

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
My old mare Brandi used to do the same thing. She is just relaxed... I used to play with Brandi's when she would droop it, it was hilarious!

·
Registered
356 Posts
The horses chin and lower lip will often go droopy when they are very sleepy, content or relaxed. Other signs include resting a hind leg, ears to the side and head carriage mid to low in height.

I've seen this in older horses quite a bit, might have something to do with teeth and loss of muscle, but your horse is 3! :)

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I think it jusst means they are relaxed, and maybe if shes that young then she just began to trust you and relax when your with her

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Question is, does she do it all the time or just when she seems relaxed? Like is it floppy when you ride and work her too? Or just when she is either standing or moseying around?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
my friends horse has that...ALL THE TIME!!!! (unless hes biting u) its so cute. even when riding..!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
my mare does that when shes really relaxed/tired... she moves in slow motion and looks at you with that lip and its like shes TQed. all i can hear her say is "DUUUUUHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh"

·
Registered
755 Posts
It means she's relaxed/content. At my mom's friends barn most of the horses do this ALOT, it's kinda funny to see LOL.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Noticing changes in your horse is the key. If this is a change I'd watch it to be sure other signs of possible neurological problems don't start to show--more sagging, sagging on one side, happens all the time etc.

If you see more symptoms call a vet--if not no big deal.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shes only done it a dew times and I think she was just relaxing cos she was doing all of the things that SeaHorseys listed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.