The Horse Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
No drought here (Southern Indiana) and we have more than our fair share of annoying insects this year. The flies are particularly persistent once one takes a liking to you it doesn't matter how many times you swat at or shoo it away, it's right back. We have gotten through the spring round of ticks and I'm not having to pick a dozen or more off the herd on a daily basis anymore. I've only found 1 in about the past 2 weeks so that's a big itch relief until the fall round starts.

Many of our local farmers baled first cut in mid May, the ones that didn't have been thwarted by rain. I've got enough pasture right now that it could easily support another 10 horses or so. My 7 that are pastured aren't even making a dent in it and even the minis have grass and weeds growing in what is supposed to be a dry lot, enough that it's been mowed twice.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Not sure where you live op?

if you have a hay shortage you can add Canola oil to the feed for additional calories. Start with 1/4 cup and increase up to 2 cups/day. If you need additional protein, you can add soybean meal or whey protein. With the canola oil you can feed fewer hay pellets. My old mare lives off of 3 scoops of hay pellets per day soaked and canola oil- she can't eat much hay. I also add a vitamin mineral supplement top dressed.

The only problem is the cost. It is more expensive to feed this way. I would be hurting if I had to do it for my horses.

We have had drought like conditions, but we are getting rain- it's just hit and miss. My neighbor had a terrible 1st cutting of hay- not enough rain and the hay is like grass clippings. My other hay dealer- 5 miles away, had beautiful hay. It poured at his house right before I went to get hay, but my house didn't get a drop.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Not sure where you live op?

if you have a hay shortage you can add Canola oil to the feed for additional calories. Start with 1/4 cup and increase up to 2 cups/day. If you need additional protein, you can add soybean meal or whey protein. With the canola oil you can feed fewer hay pellets. My old mare lives off of 3 scoops of hay pellets per day soaked and canola oil- she can't eat much hay. I also add a vitamin mineral supplement top dressed.

The only problem is the cost. It is more expensive to feed this way. I would be hurting if I had to do it for my horses.

We have had drought like conditions, but we are getting rain- it's just hit and miss. My neighbor had a terrible 1st cutting of hay- not enough rain and the hay is like grass clippings. My other hay dealer- 5 miles away, had beautiful hay. It poured at his house right before I went to get hay, but my house didn't get a drop.
In MN I'm getting hay cubes 2 pallets tomorrow. Will use cubes an small amount of hay. Oils to messy an not convenient come winter. When temps are well below freezing till late March early april.

Already have an good vit/min I use so not an issue there. Think feeding cubes an some hay along with vit/min should be ok. If there a little lean thin isn't gonna kill them. Figure 10lbs of cubes, 3 lbs hay per day see how they do on those amounts.

Part of lawn has some decent grass it's shaded so they can go out there a few hours a day.

We got a storm last night lots of lighting an thunder, enough rain to settle dust didn't amount to much.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts