The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a miniature gelding and was wondering what to do, if anything, about his mane and tail.
It is very rough/dry and just poor quality.
It's not important, but just thought that perhaps there was a supplement or a bath I could do to help it come in a little nicer.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I recently purchased a miniature gelding and was wondering what to do, if anything, about his mane and tail.
It is very rough/dry and just poor quality.
It's not important, but just thought that perhaps there was a supplement or a bath I could do to help it come in a little nicer.
I took a tip from Craig Cameron on mane and tail care. Go to the dollar store and buy the cheapest human hair conditioner you can. Use it on your horse applying it to the dry mane or after a wash and don't rinse it out. Let it moisturize and comb it. Use it often and the mane and tail will start looking and feeling lots better pretty quick. It is cheap so use it often, I think you'll like the results.

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
IMHO, he would benefit from a quality vit/min supplement, which your foundered horse could also partake of:):)

A good condensed vit/min supplement, plus an added biotin supplement would benefit both of them:).

It could be fed with a cup of Timothy pellets and a bit of water and will eliminate the need of feed or a ration balancer which are high in calories and higher in NSC than a condensed supplement.

I don’t know what’s available in Canada. Hopefully someone will come in and share some ideas:):)

Reactions: lilruffian

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm certainly going to try a supplement and a bath. He has patchy spots because his previous home had barbed wire fences and his mane looks like a classic case of fence reaching lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Smartpak mane and tail supplements has flaxseed, biotin, and zinc for mane and tail growth. It’s when I see a difference giving this kind of supplement. Seeing a lot of new tail growth and a soft shiny coat. Ecolicious has a good tail conditioner and spray which is all natural no harsh or drying chemicals. Vetrolyn has a good detangler. Hood

1 - 5 of 5 Posts