The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have an 3 year old gelding that began coughing in mid February. It started off as a wet cough and he was coughing up mucus with a runny nose, no fever. We did not get a vet out because it cleared up within a few days. After the mucus and runny nose cleared up he began to have a dry cough, no other symptoms. He was recently started under saddle, I hear him cough in the pasture as well as when I am riding him. He is in a small pasture with 3 other horses who have not had any of the same symptoms but the grass is really short which leads me to believe that is it a mold allergy, I can move him to a different pasture if necessary. Any ideas about what this could be?
Thank you!!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,045 Posts
If it is an allergy to mould/dust, then he would be getting it from the hay not the grass.

Try soaking the hay to eliminate any spores.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Does the cough get better or worse with exercise? If it's better, it could just be a matter of clearing out dirt and irritants with some nice deep breaths. If he gets worse, or easily winded, a Vet would be able to tell if it's allergies, heaves, an obstruction or the like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts