The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 weeks ago I brought home a miniature horse. Her name is Misty. She’s kind of a rescue. Super underweight, but hard to tell cause her coat is so thick. The last week I’ve been noticing some hair loss on her chest and the lower part of her neck.There’s a lot of dandruff but also the occasional red, scab like spot. So far I’ve been treating it like dry skin because I thought she may have been rubbing it causing the scabs, but after taking a much closer look today I’m not so sure. Maybe bugs? Before I got her they pulled coggins and had to shave off some hair in order to draw blood. This is what it originally looked like to me but the location (her chest) doesn’t make a lot of sense. They said she was pretty scared of the clippers so maybe something happened there? But not sure. I’ve attached photos. Would love to hear everyone’s opinion on what this might be. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Possibly rubbing it because the blood draw site got a little infected, it's in the right area. Maybe wash with betadine and then put some ointment on it. I like Tri-Care by Farnam because it also helps with itch. Lice is another possibility and I'd just go ahead and treat her for that because it won't hurt. A dose of ivermectin wormer will kill blood sucking lice and for chewing lice there are products for bathing, dusting, pour-ons, or fly sprays that also target lice. If you are in a cold area the lice dust might be your best option right now.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Has she started shedding yet? Sometimes they can get funny sheds where hair falls out in chunks with nothing new underneath.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts