The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new here.

My mare, Beauty, (Dartmoor pony) suffers from sweet-itch which is now thankfully under control but she has been left with very dry flakey skin and her rear-end has become very rough. She's forever being groomed but I've still had to give her a clip to help with the build up of dead skin cells and dander. I've heard and read that linseed and soya oil would help however, she has had laminitis once in the past and I don't want to add anything to her diet that may increase her risk of getting laminitis again.

Any advice on what I can do for her or feed her is appreciated, thanks :smile:

She's had a warm shower which did help but I don't want to over wash her and take out her natural oils, plus its getting too cold here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would recommend Equiderma Skin Lotion. I got some a little while ago for skin issues related to my horse's cannon bone crud and the flaky skin issues after you clean it off. Look care of the problem right away. Great product. I wouldn't change a diet is your horse is laminitic as much as possible.

Just wash the area thoroughly and let it dry. Then apply the skin lotion and leave on. You can reapply as much as you need but make sure the area is clean first.

Good luck!

·
Banned
91 Posts
Some studies show that, in *moderation*, linseed (flax) oil can actually aid in the carbo-load laminitis. In addition, it helps with the omega 3 ratio. The ECIR group has articles all about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts