The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend called me to say that her 11 year (yes 11) old cousin (who has never owned a horse before) is getting a free 7 month old horse from her parents. I've never met the girl but she seems like a little brat anyway.
The horse is obviously not trained and the parents are getting it because they think their daughter can train it in a couple months to ride...and she also said the parents are getting it because "it's cute"...Well I guess that's a valid reason to get the horse then *heavy sarcasm*...

When I heard this I wanted to scream. I've been around horses for 18 years, just bought my second horse who is trained but I am going to rework with him on his groundwork with the HELP of someone. I just think it's absolutely ridiculous she is getting an untrained horse...this is a very dangerous situation...I feel bad for the horse. What do you guys think about it?

·
Registered
742 Posts
That does sound like an accident waiting to happen. Has the 11 year old at least had some kind of formal riding lessons or experience with horses? Even then buying a weanling for a child just isn't a good idea 99% of the time, even more so if they aren't going to be working closely with someone who has experience starting young horses.

Someone needs to sit those parents down and explain to them that horses are large, dangerous animals that aren't born automatically knowing how to behave with people.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That does sound like an accident waiting to happen. Has the 11 year old at least had some kind of formal riding lessons or experience with horses? Even then buying a weanling for a child just isn't a good idea 99% of the time, even more so if they aren't going to be working closely with someone who has experience starting young horses.

Someone needs to sit those parents down and explain to them that horses are large, dangerous animals that aren't born automatically knowing how to behave with people.
She hasn't had any formal lessons. She has just ridden on a "backyard bombproof horse" and she thinks she's the best rider around. I wish there was a way to contact the parents.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Oh jeez.

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is a disaster waiting to happen, like most other folk on this site iv more years than I care to remember working around horses and iv lost count how many times iv been kicked or nearly run over by foals/yearlings .. there more dangerous at times than the older ones! If you can tell your friend to speak to the girls parents.. to try and warn them, Id normally have the opinion that its their problem and theyl learn from their mistakes but this girl is 11.. I am spechless :shock:

·
Registered
91 Posts
That makes me outraged!!! Its sickening!! And the poor horse is going to be the one that suffers :( Im going to lease this summer but I know im no where close to owning my own horse. Someone needs to talk some sense into those parents. Obviously they dont know a lot about horses either...

·
Registered
868 Posts
WHEN something does happen.... it'll be the poor horses fault!
Yep, the horse will probably grow up to be a "problem" horse because they couldn't properly train or take care of it. It will have so many bad vices by the time they realize they got in way over their heads. Poor little filly.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Come on people:shock: We have all watched Flicka! Of course young inexperienced kids can get their own foal and then break it themselves,and win competitions,and be the bestest friends ever!:rofl:

All joking aside that is really sad...it's a potentially very dangerous situation for both the kid and the filly:?

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
And this is the point at which your friend has a friendly conversation with the parents of said child - is this friend relaying information given to her by adults in the situation or by the child? Is it coming "from the horse's mouth" or as second or third hand information from someone else?
I will agree that, on the surface, this is a situation that is disaster waiting to happen - but would not jump to any great conclusions without a little more information and, even then, one that could be helped by someone offering horse related knowledge and experience to everyone involved. It doesn't *have* to be a disaster.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
7 months old? Breaking to ride? ... ?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I'd do everything you can to contact these parents and tell them what danger they are putting their daughter in that sh e can and will get badly injured or even be killed. also explain that a 7mo old horse CANNOT be ridden. The previous owners were very irresponsible to sell this horse to these people. really though contact them it could save the girls life.

Reactions: caseymyhorserocks

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree that you should try to get someone to talk some sense into these people. If they want to get this particular horse then they should hire someone with experience to train it and the little girl. Or buy a horse better suited for the girl.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Even if this kid is some sort of genius with horses and can train a perfect horse, they've got a while to wait, a couple years. Not a few months....
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.