The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently found an article on dog dying and was looking at pictures of dyed poochies and OMG they are adoreable!!

But then the more I read the more I found people dissing people that dye their dogs... What is the big deal?

People say it is inhumane and harmful to the dogs. Most people use veggie dye, cool aid, food coloring, or special pet safe dyes.

They were saying it humiliates the dogs, dogs are color blind... do you really think they care? I garuntee they love the extra attention they get.

I personally think it is adorable. I think it is fun. I realize that pets are not accessories but you buy cute clothes for your kids right? You get their hair cut in styles you think are cute, you pierce their ears, paint their nails, curl their hair? But that is not considered bad. Why is dying a dog?

Here are some pics, all I have to say is FUN!

2_Multi-Dyed_Dog.jpg
He marches with his pet parents in a gay pride parade every weekend!

7_Blue_Pink_Poodles.jpg
Aww, this is adoreable!

12_Purple_Chinese_Crested.jpg
80's Tastic!! Punk rocker doggie!

The Blues!!

3596913.jpg

blue_poodle8.jpg

Panda Doggies!
Japanese_Panda_Dog.jpg

panda_dog.jpg

So, to the title of my post, WHAT DO YOU THINK?
I could have posted this in the pet section but I want Everyones opinions.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ahh, I love the panda ones!

I have a Maltese and I've always joked that I'll dye his hair blue one day. ;) I don't think I ever will, but it sure would be funny

·
Super Moderator
22,659 Posts
Personally I don't like the idea. I just think dying and other human things like that aren't for animals. But like 1dog3cats17rodents said, it's every owner's own decision. On the other hand, if I had a child I wouldn't (let her) dye her hair or piece her ears before I assumed she was old enough to decide it herself.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
When I went to school for Dog Grooming, the Salon that I worked at did Coat Coloring.

There are very wealthy people who get it done for the Holiday's. I've done Green, and Red on Sibling Maltese's. And I've done Standardbred Poodles and the list goes on.

It can be done quite tactful if done properly by someone taught properly on how to do it.

And they have HUGE Dog Grooming competitions, just like how Hair Stylists have huge competitions - and Dying Dogs is a huge aspect to that.

If my Clients want it done, I'll do it. These dogs are loved, pampered and adored by their "Parents". I'd wrather deal with rainbow dogs who are loved and treated with kindness walking down the streets with their proud humans, than seeing a poor dog uncolored dog being neglected and abused.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
If done right I think it is neat. The dogs don't care. So what they hey.

Check this one out

It's a Harley

This is a bit much

This is a little much
Ninja Turtle

Ok I take that back. The one on the bottom of this is a bit much

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
LOL, those are great!

Those pictures, just so everyone knows - are shots of dogs being done for those Dog Grooming Competitions.

Those are not dogs who walk around on a daily basis looking like that. lol.

I love the first one with the horse head!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I don't really like it, but I like things natural.

The one punk rocker dog is pretty cute though. I like that idea! :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well I guess I'll be the first to say I DO dye some of my dogs. One of my white Poodles can usually be found running around with pink ears and pom poms on her feet. I've also streaked my Chinese Cresteds hair a few times. They love being fussed over. Here's miss Bianca sporting her streaks :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
LOVE the punk rocker one!
That horse head one confused me for a long time lol! I didnt cop on that the horse was drawn onto the dog lol!
Looks cool but then people go to far like the 1st one!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
LMFAO at the Ninja Turtle. I've seen that show too. Someone did a jungle theme with a big flower and a chameleon. Its fairly interesting but pretty ridiculous. Its just hair, they can hack it off and start of scratch just like people.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Its not permanent nor is it hurting the dogs..So why not?
They don't realize your humiliating them, most dogs would love the extra attention.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Ha, some of those are pretty cool! I don't really care either way. To me it's the same as dressing your dog (and not just for warmth). Am I going to do it to my dog? No, but i"m not against it.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
i dont really care, i like the natural look way better. and i think the dogs sorta dont look as much like dogs anymore.... lol but i wouldnt protest against it or anything, its something i dont really think looks nice, but im nuetrel about it :)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
ROFL now I want a white standard poodle to play with haha! (kidding, but I WOULD if standards were my breed of choice!)

My dogs aren't white, so I couldn't dye mine. But my friends have a pinto mini who's mostly white. They bought him a new red slinky, the kind that covers head/neck. They took it off, he's PINK! I said they need a blue one for the body for a patriotic look (the legs would stay white) haha ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a white Toy Poodle, Shamus, that I dye different colors using food coloring. It's safe and it only last about 3 or 4 weeks...less if you wash them once a week. He doesn't mind it and is well behaved with all grooming in general. It's just something different and for fun. My son really likes it and so does everyone who sees him!

This was when he was green. It was washing out but was still a nice mint color!

Here he was Hot Pink!

And this was a month ago in yellow...

And in white....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.