The Horse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I have the vet out and probably scope for ulcers, I’m looking for some more insight on this situation
My horse goes out on 75 acres of pasture with more than enough grass to eat but these past few days I’ve found him up by the gate eating the fence.
I’ll take him out to feed him and then when I turn him back out he goes straight to the fence to continue eating it.
Putting hot sauce or any kind of spray etc does not work, he doesn’t care.
Should I try the ‘quit’ supplement ? Could this just be due to boredom? Hoping it’s anything except ulcers!!!

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
I would give Quitt a try, it gives a 7 days or less guarantee to stop wood chewing. If it works, it's a lot cheaper than a vet visit and scope for ulcers. If it doesn't work, you can always have the vet out to check for ulcers. I tried using the paint on stuff, if anything my old guy chewed more after I put it on. We joked that it was like putting salsa on a taco for him.

·
Registered
Retired breeder
1,036 Posts
Used to be we used a product called Crib Halt. You can get it in black, brown, or clear if I remember right.
It's oil based, and tastes really bad. It does stop most, but there are a few hard core beavers out there that will continue working on fences, stalls, anything wood they can get.
Its just boredom for many.
Or you can do what we finally did, use angle iron on all edges. That stops the wood eating for good.

Reactions: Knave

·
Registered
15,038 Posts
Whenever I put up new fence boards, paint them, eventually my beaver imitating horses will chew on it. They are not addicted to chewing fences but definitely recreational users! I've tried all sorts of sprays, brush on potions, once the weather wears it off, they will chew again. Then this year, I replaced chewed boards with rough cut lumber, they will not touch it! I believe it is the planing and kiln processing of the lumber that makes it nice to chew. My husband has a sawmill, most of his orders are for equine fencing, the no chew wood.

Reactions: Woodhaven and Knave

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
We used a tar. Icky stuff. It did work though.

My mother had a show horse who was winning big when I was a small child. The outlay of the corrals had one side that you rarely saw. Anyways, she had come from a big show and then decided the horse could have a few weeks off because he had been worked very hard and also they were planning a vacation.

The horse was chewing the fence they couldn’t easily see, and they did not notice. The morning of their vacation he was dead. A splinter had perforated his intestines.

You can imagine her sadness and also her future obsession with horses not chewing fences. My husband and I have been lucky to not have a chewer in our corral, because we do have mostly wood. If something were to start I would find that nasty tar to paint on the wood.

Reactions: Woodhaven

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
If we had a horse inclined to chew wood, it's like eating popcorn, once you start it's hard to stop., we would paint the wood with creosote. It is not available in Canada anymore but it really worked, they would not chew with that stuff on the wood
Now I spray with water mixed with hot sauce but have to keep doing it as it wears off quickly.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
You could also run a really hot strand of electric around the top.
This is actually my favorite solution. My mare Miss Patti liked to walk up to the field fence and take a foot and smash it right down, so she could get to the grass on the other side. I ran 2 strands of hot wire and fixed that right now. Now my horses are so used to have a wired fence, I can string the electrotape and flag it, and they won't get near the stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would give Quitt a try, it gives a 7 days or less guarantee to stop wood chewing. If it works, it's a lot cheaper than a vet visit and scope for ulcers. If it doesn't work, you can always have the vet out to check for ulcers. I tried using the paint on stuff, if anything my old guy chewed more after I put it on. We joked that it was like putting salsa on a taco for him.
Looks like I’ll have to give quitt a try

·
Registered
343 Posts
Whenever I put up new fence boards, paint them, eventually my beaver imitating horses will chew on it. They are not addicted to chewing fences but definitely recreational users! I've tried all sorts of sprays, brush on potions, once the weather wears it off, they will chew again. Then this year, I replaced chewed boards with rough cut lumber, they will not touch it! I believe it is the planing and kiln processing of the lumber that makes it nice to chew. My husband has a sawmill, most of his orders are for equine fencing, the no chew wood.
Interesting! What kind of wood for the rough cut lumber?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts