1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How can I delete my post?
The FAQ says:

Can I edit or delete my posts?
If you have registered and are logged in, you may be able to edit and delete your posts (although the administrator may have turned off this option). Your ability to edit your posts may be time-limited, depending on how the administrator has set up the forum.
To edit or delete your posts, click the Edit
button by the particular post. If your post was the first in the thread, then deleting it may remove the entire thread.
Once you've made your modifications, a note may appear to inform other users that you have edited your post.
If the edit time and date appear as a link you can click on this to see the differences between the original and edited versions, or between edits if there have been multiple edits.

But I can't find the
button, which is kind of crucial to the operation ... I just see the Quote and MQ buttons on that particular post. On THIS post there is an Edit button. SO confused!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I think you can only edit your posts, not delete them. If you need something deleted you have to contact a mod. As far as editing you can only edit your post for about 10-15 minutes after posting. I think the reason for this is because if people can go back and edit and change their posts after other people have replied to the original post, the whole thread can start to not make sense. Especially if things are added or removed. But if you really need something changed or removed you can always contact a mod.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
68 Posts
but the mods dont replyy!! i pressed the 'contact us' button on the bottom of the page, and they havent replied :(

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
but the mods dont replyy!! i pressed the 'contact us' button on the bottom of the page, and they havent replied :(
Their replies are not immediate but mods DO reply. You do have only a certain amount of time to edit posts (~10 minutes).

·
Super Moderator
26,554 Posts
I'm sorry! I didn't see anything, I'll mention the contact us button issue. As for editing/deleting the posts, there is a time limit, and I think it's fairly short. If you would like to PM me and let me know what the issue is... I will try to accomadate. However if is intertwined in a thread then we run the risk of interfering with the entire contents, in which case we won't be able to do much.

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
Sorry for any confusion, but the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page is not the best mechanism for contacting a member of the team. Messages sent there go to an email account that is checked intermittently.

In the future, you can either send a pm directly to an online moderator, or better yet, report the post by clicking the exclamation icon in its lower left hand corner so that your comments/request will be available to the entire team.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Back to the discussion of the "edit" button - is there anyway to extend the time limit to beable to go back to your post and edit it, beyond the 10 - 30 minutes that is already set?

Like, is there anyway we can go back and edit weeks later, and beable to delete the post if we choose?

Take my Browband Thread and my Tack For Sale Thread in the Classified's section - I want to beable to get rid of the clutter of my "bumping this back up" and delete the whole post entirely - so that when perspective buyers don't have to weed through all that, know what I mean?

I want to beable to bump it back up to be seen, but then later on get rid of the tons of "bumping" back up posts.

Also my Tack For Sale thread - I want to beable to go back to it and update what has been sold, what hasn't been sold - but I can't.

Is there anyway that the edit and delete options can be an option for us, weeks/months later from making the origional post?

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Although I can see your reasoning for that situation, extending the delete or edit time beyond the 10 min cutoff could conceivably create a lot of problems. Members could go back and change the entire direction of a thread and all the posts that follow. The purpose of being able to edit your post is to quickly add to the post or to correct spelling - not change the entire thread.

In your case, though, it should be OK to do a new thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts