The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you buy this fence product make sure you ask how Horses get free when they get tangled...The company does not have an answer and if you have an injury they get you to complete a 50 question document which asks questions about how you installed your fence and how your horse acts...they take no responsibility for injuries nor do they have an answer to how horses can free themselves if they get entangled...

When the horse gets caught in the fence...it usually ends in the worse possible scenario!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Question...Why would it be THEIR fault that your horse got tangled in your fence?

your horse didn't respect the fence, isn't that his own fault?

I have regular electric fence installed, and if my horse goes through it, its his own fault. I have to deal with the consequences, but how can you blame the fence company?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
if you keep it electrified all the time horses getting tangled in it should be an issue.

I have hot fence its on 24/7 horses don't mess with it.....why should the makers of the fence be responsible for your horse getting injured from the fence. Its up to you to see to it the fence you install is safe not the makers........

Oh I have electobraid never have had a horse tangled in it.... been up for 15 years.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
yeah they don't have to take responsibility unless it's a design flaw that they made and could fix. Not really anyone's fault when a horse gets stuck or tangled just a ad accident. If you installed the fence improperly, you would be at fault if there was a design flaw that could pose a danger, they would be at fault. If there was no dangerous flaw and you installed the fence properly, nobody is at fault. Simple as that.

Reactions: waresbear

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
if you keep it electrified all the time horses getting tangled in it should be an issue.

I have hot fence its on 24/7 horses don't mess with it.....why should the makers of the fence be responsible for your horse getting injured from the fence. Its up to you to see to it the fence you install is safe not the makers........

Oh I have electobraid never have had a horse tangled in it.... been up for 15 years.
that's a very good point, what horse get's tangled in hot fence? "oh hey this fence is hot best mess around with it and see how many limbs I can get into it!"

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
I've had horses in electric braid/ rope for 8 years and never had a problem. BUT...I made 1000% sure the rope was hot at all times. I've seen horses get tangled and cut up pretty bad, but always with no or not enough juice and hungry horses( owners who thought feeding in a paddock is too messy....idiots).
I do prefer electric tape, it breaks. Much safer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dont use ElectroBraid

:-( I am trying to help your horses...if you want to use the product go ahead...if your horse does get wrapped then you will find out what I am saying...geez...try to help people and they defensive...you all got shares in this company or something?

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Nope, none of us are shareholders, although some folks appear to be users who haven't had any issues with it. What I want to know is why you aren't taking any of the responsibility for your animal's injury, and want to fob it all off on the fence manufacturer?

If you think Electrobraid is dangerous, then you're free to tear it all down and put up something else. You didn't come here with a warning about what MIGHT happen, you came raging in blaming the manufacturer for something about which they most likely have no liability.

I currently have electric fencing. Not Electrobraid, but something similar. My horses are hard on fences. Once they found out the new fencing bites, they've stayed off it. Of course, I have a 10 mile charger on 5 acres, so that may have something to do with it. Maybe your charger isn't strong enough, or it's defective in some way.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Jeffrey I am so sorry you have had a bad time with this product. Thank you for the Warning.

HF peeps don't mean to sound that way some times they do come across a bit harsh.

It is good with any product to make sure you are using it correctly so bad things don't happen.

I think a horse could find something to get hurt on in a bubble..

But I do agree unless there is a makers Flaw it is the owners problem although and good company would want to know details to help make a product better in the future.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
:-( I am trying to help your horses...if you want to use the product go ahead...if your horse does get wrapped then you will find out what I am saying...geez...try to help people and they defensive...you all got shares in this company or something?
I think the point is that any obstacle/fence/stall/trailer/etc has the potential to injure a horse. We use electric fences to strongly encourage them to simply stay away from it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
LOL, no, we just realize that no fencing is 100% safe, especially around horses. It is up to the owner to make the fence as safe as possible either by putting the fence up correctly...or buying a different kind.

Did you simply ask about the tensile strength of the product? What was their answer?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Seems like an easy solution- turn it off, snip the fence so the horse gets free... But again, like other posters, my guys steer clear.

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
The fencer I have shocks through wet weeds so even if brush is touching fence it still shocks them. In all the years iv had horses and hot fence iv never had one get tangled in it.

But I keep it on all the time they know it to so stay the heck away from it.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
It's all a matter of enough electricity on the fence.
I currently have mesh fence, horses were fine with it....for about a week. Then they started leaning on it. One strand of electric tape, above the mesh. Case closed. It took ONE touch and the resulting jolt.
When I got my last horse, the dividing fence consisted of three strands of tape. New horse didn't know e-fence. Again, one touch was all it took.
But I'm very careful and thorough with installing, making sure insulators are in order, handles attach properly, nothing shorts out anywhere and the charger is properly grounded. I also water the ground rod in dry weather. Very important!
I think by far the best fencing is the one they stay away from.

·
Administrator
36,077 Posts
I don't think anyone meant to be offensive, its just that when you've had horses for any length of time you realize that they are capable of pretty much anything - in fact it never ceases to amaze me what they will do
Barbed wire and the large mesh netting is way worse if they get caught up in it and no manufacturer will give you advice on what to do
Certainly to have the 'on/off switch easily accessible and a good pair of cutters always where they should be is a good idea
Its also a good idea to try to train your horse to not over react when it feels something around its legs. We make a point of trailing rope around our horses legs and pulling on their legs with it so they get used to the feel
I do find that once they've touched it with their nose and got a blast they tend to keep away

·
Registered
26 Posts
As a vet I've dealt with injuries from all type of fencing. If there is a way to hurt themselves, horses will find a way. Ive seen horses impaled on t posts, I've had horses with high tensile fence wrapped around there legs tight enough to bow tendons, I've seen horses torn up by barbed wire, and I've seen horses break legs running into 4 board wood fencing. If you're going to blame the manufacturer of one type, then you need to blame the maker of all the other types as well. Just seems silly to be blaming a certain brand of fencing, when none are safe, if a horse tries hard enough, they will get hurt.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Ive seen horses get stuck in electro braid that was properly hot before Caused a hell of an injury. Not the fences fault. Just a horse that spooked. Horses get hurt on all kinds of fencing. I do have to say that it is worse when the fence wont break and free them and keeps shocking them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
We have Electrobraid on the back 3/4 of one of our 5 acre pastures. We installed it per manufacturer instruction and even discussed with the rep a diagram of our layout with descriptions of the terrain (which is nearly flat) Overall, I have not been all that impressed with the performance. In a couple other threads, I have been more specific with the issues we have had.

I will say that I have not had any horses get tangled in it, but I could see where it would be disastrous.

OP I do hope that you took the time to complete electrobraid's questionnaire and I hope they also take the time to review your issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14,265 Posts
Horses can get tangled up & hurt in a fence made with air molecules. OP, your intentions are noble but very naïve, no manufacturer of any fencing product will assume liability for a horse getting tangled up in it. Now if you came on here and said that one did, I would swallow my tongue, right as I read it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.