The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so, today in my jumping lesson my horse was fantastic, don’t get me wrong, but he was huffing, puffing and tired In the first 30 minutes.(lessons are an hour long, not including cool out, once a week) Even with two other riders and taking turns to go around. He’s a big boned 16 hh 16 yr old Appendix gelding (no health issues) I’m wondering if any one has any exercises or schooling ideas that help build endurance? we just started cantering 2 months ago, and that’s what really wears him out. I’m guessing I will just have to take it slow and build him up gradually.

·
Super Moderator
13,421 Posts
I'd say time for a vet visit to have him checked over. If he can truly trot for hours on end and has been cantering with you for two months then a 30 minute jump lesson with breaks in between riders shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Get the vet out and if you get the go ahead repetition is the easiest way to build stamina. Set up a low ish jump and drill him over it. Don't do this to much but perhaps once every couple weeks. Canter laps. Never push him to the point of exhaustion as that can get dangerous but he should be tired. Stick at it it will be boring you can always work on your position whilst your doing this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you have any tall hills, clear of low hanging branches and or underbrush, walking, trotting, and cantering up can really get you and your horse in good shape. Start slowly though, an inexperienced horse can easily hurt himself trying to run up a hill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts