The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I ride in a wintec AP saddle and I just trail ride. I haven't really done any trail riding in the saddle yet. So I don't know how well the saddle stays put. But I would like to attach a crupper. I was wondering about those metal T's for crupper attachment. How well do they work? Are they strong enough to hold the saddle in place downhill? What are your opinions on them? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
Is the terrain you ride in necessitate a crupper being used?
I see you live in Idaho...varied terrain the state has.

I think of very steep inclines and descents with a crupper needed to seriously hold the saddle from sliding forward to the neck or a breastplate/collar to stop the rearward travel so far back it hangs on the horses rump...
Or is your horse that flatly built of no wither and a back that a saddle can not adhere to?

I think of cruppers being used on mules and primarily harness horses to hold the harness from shifting...
Difficult jobs or on incredible terrain....
A true crupper must be fitted correctly or it will chafe a animal or not engage and the saddle will slip...
A "get-used to" period of time might need done as suddenly having this strap under the animals tail is something out of the ordinary for most of our horses.
A saddle the fits correctly under "normal" conditions should not be walking all over the horses back in movement.

I thought the "leather covered metal T" went in the gullet and tucked into the padding area?
I'm not sure a Wintec saddle is able to accommodate the t-plate you are thinking to use... :|
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
I wouldn't use a crupper unless absolutely necessary - and with a decently fitting saddle, you shouldn't need one. There is a very round pony at the barn where my daughter rides and saddles are constantly slipping on her. They decided to use a crupper and the horse put on quite a show, bucking to get it off. It did not go well. Think about it - it doesn't exactly look comfortable.

Try the saddle without it. With a tight girth, you should be fine, assuming you have the right size plate installed in the Wintec.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I think the main thing when using a 'T' with Wintecs is the condition of the rear panel securing wire and its fixing screws, which you can find behind the rear skirt extensions. On older saddles the moulding these screws fix through can disintegrate, and although the screws go through these into the tree proper, backwards pressure could, in theory, either bend the screws or break them off. The rear panel can then pull off the saddle below the cantle where it sits over an angled moulding running around the rear of the tree.

If the saddle is in good condition this ought not to be a problem.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,085 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts