The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year all! I just bought a synthetic western saddle for my grandchildren Love the saddle but it came with English rigging. I know nothing about English tack. If my boy uses a 28” in a western cinch what would be the equivalent size in an English girth?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Could you add the brand or a photo. It would help people research and advise.
Are you sure it’s western and not an Australian saddle?

It’s hard to say a certain English girth length will match. It depends in the billets as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,043 Posts
Interesting. I've seen English saddles rigged for a western cinch, but not thr other way around.

Anyway. If the billets are of normal length, and the horse weighs about 1,000 lbs a 52" would be my best guess. Cam you use a measuring tape to get an idea?

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
Measure from 2nd hole up side to side with a length of non stretching string and then measure that.

I tie a knot in a piece of baling twine and work it through then tie it off where it meets same hole on other side snuggled. You may need to tie a second piece of twine to the first to get it all the way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It’s hard to say a certain English girth length will match. It depends in the billets as well.

Don’t have a brand

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s actually the billets that are English. It’s def a western saddle with English billets

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m thinking if my horse takes a 28” western girth, wouldn’t he be the same size English girth since the western girth attaches to the saddle at a lower point than an English saddle.

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
Measure so you know for sure. It depends on how the billets are attached and hang. Dressage girths are much shorter than other English girths. The billets hang much further down. Other styles are higher up and take longer girths.

You also need to know the width of the leather as it may be intended for an English style buckle Aussie girth. The leather billets on an Aussie style are wider than those on an English saddle.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Hmm, yeah, this depends if it has dressage length billets or traditional English length billets...it'd make a 20-30" difference on girth size. I'm very curious about how this saddle looks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tjis doesn’t show the actual billets but they are attached under the fenders at the seat edge

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
Put the saddle on the horse and measure from the second hole from the bottom to the same hole other side. Snug but not tight. Then measure the width of the material used for the billets at their widest point that the holes are along. That will tell you size of girth and buckle width necessary.

I suspect it will be closer to a regular English girth. But it all depends on where it falls and how big the horse is.

All you can see from that picture is one strap folded up and attached to a ring.
Is there a second they don't show? That would say closer to dressage size and style.

Edit to add - is that the saddle you bought? Looking up that style I found this which shows the straps more clearly. If they are like this then some type of dressage. If they are truly higher up and not visible then English.
Screenshot_20210104-092022_Chrome.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
Here are what shoes up when I look up girths for that type saddle.... looks very similar to my Aussie girths. This is where you need to know width of billet material because you can use the larger buckle of the Aussie on a dressage saddle but not the smaller buckle dressage girth on an aussie.

Perhaps you would do better contacting the manufacturer and seeing if they make a girth to fit. If it is from India it may not be standard anyway.
Screenshot_20210104-092619_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210104-092533_Amazon Shopping.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts