The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I ride mainly English, have ridden in all types of English saddles but right now my favourite is the dressage saddle. Ridden western as well, different types, in the old days lots of bareback riding, ridden in military saddles and my old troopers saddle was the greatest and most comfortable for long distances. I have also driven a team, cut hay, pulled the hay wagon. I have also done some swimming on horses.
I guess I would have to say the one I prefer is English riding as I do that the most. Even when showing western I did most of my schooling in the English saddle as I preferred it to the western.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
A dressage saddle is my chosen saddle right now - it holds me in a lot better than my western and jumping saddle on the mare that has decided bucking is a fun new trick...

For my "goodie two-shoes" gelding, I prefer my western saddle lately - we mostly just do ambling trail rides now. That, or bareback. He's easy, and he has a really comfy back.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Right now I usually ride in a Western saddle, but I also have an Australian saddle and English saddles, rode English for many years, ran barrels, roped, did day work on feedlots and at auctions on horseback, did ranch work, jumped, dressage, trained horses, and have driven horses/ponies/drafts both single and in a team. I don't really have a favorite; if it's working with horses, it's good by me.

·
Super Moderator
9,740 Posts
I ride both English ( hunt seat and polo) and western.

I ride a western saddle most of the time because, even if the horse's background is in an English discipline, I like taking saddlebags and a few tools, like fence pliers and staples, when we go out.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My preference for everyday riding is a General Purpose saddle. I also enjoy bareback and occasionally Sidesaddle.

If the horse is sensible and built like a sofa, then i love to go bareback. I still enjoy riding Sidesaddle on experienced, comfortable horses but I'm old enough now that it causes stiffness in my right knee and hip.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My preference for everyday riding is a General Purpose saddle. I also enjoy bareback and occasionally Sidesaddle.

If the horse is sensible and built like a sofa, then i love to go bareback. I still enjoy riding Sidesaddle on experienced, comfortable horses but I'm old enough now that it causes stiffness in my right knee and hip.
Im gonna have to look into the sidesaddle lol it sounds fun!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like western because I want to have a horn to grab so I can feel safe. :p It's purely mental probably, but just the reassurance that I can grab it... :p Considering my recent adventures on an english saddle I am sticking to western for now. :p
yes i agree, I like having the horn just in case for emergencies lol!! Ive done english riding on a pleasure horse and its very nice and smooth, but personally i like bareback

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ride mainly English, have ridden in all types of English saddles but right now my favourite is the dressage saddle. Ridden western as well, different types, in the old days lots of bareback riding, ridden in military saddles and my old troopers saddle was the greatest and most comfortable for long distances. I have also driven a team, cut hay, pulled the hay wagon. I have also done some swimming on horses.
I guess I would have to say the one I prefer is English riding as I do that the most. Even when showing western I did most of my schooling in the English saddle as I preferred it to the western.
ive never ridden in a dressage saddle before.. i bet its fun ill be sure to put that task on my wish list for 2020 :gallop:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Neither. It's just equipment.
I'd prefer bareback and neck rope, as I'm a minimalist when it comes to horses, in a perfect world.
A horn is nice and easy to hold when needed or you use one hand on reins and don't want the other just flopping about.
I prefer English one layer leathers and very lightweight plastic irons, close feel.
As far as bridle, mine can wear just one strip of leather going over pole to the noseband/sidepull. Easier on and off. Even my reins, looped heavy harness, have little snap clips for quick on/off.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I like western because I want to have a horn to grab so I can feel safe. :p It's purely mental probably, but just the reassurance that I can grab it... :p Considering my recent adventures on an english saddle I am sticking to western for now. :p
I too was a horn snatcher and still do sometimes - like when we're climbing a steep grade and I need a little more security while I lean up and forward.

Buuuut I also learned that grabbing and hanging on to the horn can put you off balance and a little too far forward which can loosen your seat in a panic grab situation. I've lost my seat and come off a horse entirely just trying to cling to the horn in a bolt. Had to give up and fling myself out of the saddle... long story. But looking back, it's because I was panic-hanging on that horn like a cat hanging on a car window of a busy freeway.

IF the saddle you use has a Cheyenne roll (That lip that runs along the back of the seat), try to get in the habit of reaching back and grabbing it instead of the horn - it will sink your rear end deeper in the seat and pull you back a little, instead of forward and looser in the seat. Obviously you want to be where you're not panic grabbing for either, but in my experience, of the two, the Cheyenne roll is the better option if you simply must grab for something.

In time, you'll find yourself reaching for either less and less. Glad you've hung with it!

·
Registered
845 Posts
@AtokaGhosthorse

Yeah, I get what you're saying... When I ride a horse that I trust and that immediately jumps from stepping to cantering on signal I do not grab the horn... But on an unknown horse I guess I tense up a bit and my seat gets a bit off balance. I am used to rebalance myself during cantering by grabbing the horn a little bit... :p Anyways, I slipped off an English saddle recently and took a hard fall on my hip in full canter (outside so the horse was on the loose too). It was a combination of factors that led to this accident. Of course me being a beginner has to do with it, but mostly the lack of a horn and the lack of mane and a horse that refused to stop... :p I rode the horse I know yesterday and we cantered together without any problems. :)

Thanks for the tips! I think in a panick situation I would be thrown off... Too inexperienced, but anyways I try to let go of those thoughts and try to enjoy the ride. :)

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
I started out riding Western, but then ended up switching to English. I prefer English. I just feel too bulked up in a Western saddle, like too much going on.

However, I also like to ride in my Barefoot treeless saddle. It's extra comfy. Endurance saddles are comfortable too for long trails.

·
Premium Member
12,706 Posts
One thing I like about having a horn is being able to push AWAY from it. When bolting or bucking, I like one hand on the reins and one pressed against the REAR of the horn to prevent me from going too far forward. I also like the old cowboy style of leg position for those:

For a horse who spins without warning, a hand resting on the horn can keep my shoulders above my hips. If I do that, I'm not likely to come off.

·
Registered
845 Posts
@bsms

Do you mean those western saddles with the chunky part in front of them instead of a horn?? We call those australian saddles in Europe...

I also like western because it's relaxed, you can let the reins loose, you can relax in your seat and legs and do chill riding. I like it the best when I don't even have to bump the horse while riding (some western horses need to be bumped rhytmically). So I just click one time and give a gentle squeeze and they go. :) When I feel they are thinking of slowing down I give a gentle squeeze so they keep going. I also don't want to do boring english riding exercises, that doesn't appeal to me. I want to do reining and pleasure. :D That's why I choses western. And because I wanted to ride bittles, which is more common in western.

And... I like the cowboy style (although I bought english boots and riding pants becose they were cheaper and I like to spend my money on the lessons and not on my gear) One day I am gonna buy riding jeans and cowboy boots and all!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts