The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not great at judging the fit of English saddles and just dusted mine off, thinking of riding in it again just for fun.

Horse was a wiggle worm, so I did the best I could.
I do have different gullet plates for it, so could go smaller if need be.

·
Super Moderator
12,687 Posts
I was just coming to say the same as Caledonian. I am thinking slightly to wide and with weight will tip.forward and settle on the wither.

·
Super Moderator
14,754 Posts
I see front tipped down a bit too...if nothing else we are consistent in comments it appears.
Its not bad, just a bit of a tweak it appears needed.
Saddle pad on, use a folded hand towel under where the front saddle buttons are to take up a bit of space and sit in it and make sure it not collapse to the wither girthed and moving..

If the towel works and your horse not yo-yo in weight/muscle tone in that area then change the plate as it is a bit of effort/time to do on many saddles.
For a occasional ride I would probably not mess with changing the gullet plate but try the towel first..
🐴...

·
Registered
49,438 Posts
i think it looks good it might be a tiny bit too far back, or, a tad too wide. you could try shimming a tiny bit in front, perhaps using a thin , folded towel (fold so that it has increasing thickness on one side verses the other). all in all, good fit.

·
Banned
248 Posts
A half pad could help with fit. I know some will say not to but sometimes a perfect fit without a custom saddle is really hard especially like this when it’s looking pretty close.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
went for a quick trot today and I think it needs just a tiny bit more padding in the front, like the towel idea. It didn't hit her withers at all but I was thinking a foam standing bandage would work.

After riding in a roughout western saddle wearing shotgun chaps just before this, I felt like a complete potato. It's a sign I should ride it more to get into better riding shape lol

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Have you taken the gullet out and tried it over the horse's back? It amazes me how often riders don't, when this is the easiest way to check the width fitting is correct. The last pic suggests it's ok, but the saddle's gone back a little which it can do for a too wide fit AND also one that's too narrow.
One practical tip when using a gullet plate to check width (positioned 2" or three finger-widths behind the back of the shoulder blade) is in most cases it should lie flat to the horses muscle and up over the spine (or with a maximum of 1/4" clearance on top of the spine), but also along the back edge of the shoulder blade. If the gullet fits at the top but 'rattles' at the points (ie. there's a gap) then you'll probably need a panel adjust or shim pad.
If the gullet sits up above the spine any more than 1/4", it's too narrow. Period.

I'd guess from the front pic your horse has decent shoulders and hollows behind, and the flock's settled in the saddle, which is common with Thorowgoods as they're pretty softly flocked to begin with. Tree shape looks perfect, though🙂

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you taken the gullet out and tried it over the horse's back? It amazes me how often riders don't, when this is the easiest way to check the width fitting is correct. The last pic suggests it's ok, but the saddle's gone back a little which it can do for a too wide fit AND also one that's too narrow.
One practical tip when using a gullet plate to check width (positioned 2" or three finger-widths behind the back of the shoulder blade) is in most cases it should lie flat to the horses muscle and up over the spine (or with a maximum of 1/4" clearance on top of the spine), but also along the back edge of the shoulder blade. If the gullet fits at the top but 'rattles' at the points (ie. there's a gap) then you'll probably need a panel adjust or shim pad.
If the gullet sits up above the spine any more than 1/4", it's too narrow. Period.

I'd guess from the front pic your horse has decent shoulders and hollows behind, and the flock's settled in the saddle, which is common with Thorowgoods as they're pretty softly flocked to begin with. Tree shape looks perfect, though🙂
I'll definitely check it with the gullet plate out and take a couple pictures for you!
I've only rode in it a couple times but it left a good "sweat" pattern, meaning all the hair was laid nice.
This horse has a fairly prominent wither but wide shoulders and does have a dip behind the wither.

Should I consider getting it reflocked? How hard of a process is it? And what kind of wool is used for stuffing? We stuff other items like bucking rolls with wool shaved off of the same kind of sheepskin used for the underside of western saddles, are English saddles flocked with similar stuff?
Wondering if I could attempt it myself. My SO builds western saddles and boots so we have plenty of tools and sewing stuff.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Ah - flocking. Thorowgood tend to use synthetic wool which is mostly grey with other colours mixed in. There's nothing wrong with it but it does tend to pack down more quickly than natural wool. The natural stuff is better, IMO, and comes in a couple of grades - brown (the cheapest), white short-fibre, Jacob (used a lot in new leather saddles nowadays because it's curly and springy so doesn't move around so much in a soft panel), and white long-fibre. I tend to use the latter, even though it's the most expensive. I've not included 'carpet fibre' (ultra-short fibre fill still found in a lot of Far East saddles, unfortunately) because that's not proper flocking.
I've been adjusting saddles for 20 years now and frankly, although it's not rocket science, it's very easy to get wrong and end up with an uncomfortable or sore horse. I can't advise you try, sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts