The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to show my horse in english showmanship this year and I'm a little confused about how I should hold the reins. Am I supposed to keep my right hand just below her chin all the time? When I practice, walk/trot, setting up, backing up and pivoting my hands are just below her chin and my pointer finger is in between the reins. However, when I practice the quarter system I slide my hand down almost a foot. The reason I do this is so I can more easily change sides without banging the bit around in her mouth. As soon as I walk off I slide my hands back up. Is this correct?

Are there any videos on youtube that show how it's done correctly? Most of the videos are western showmanship. The videos I've been studying the most are these:

This one is a little outdated:

My next question is this: I know I'm supposed to keep my arms bent at a ninety degree angle, or so I've heard. My left arm, I have no trouble with. But I'd have to hold my horses head up high to get a ninety degree angle. So what do I do? I've some people run around with their arms stuck straight out in fromt of them. I'm sorry but I'm not doing that. It looks completely unnatural.

Also, any tips on getting my horse to move away when I walk towards her for the backup and pivot?

Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.