The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im unsure of the size (width) of stirrup I need.
Im 18, no longer growing, wear a size 9 shoe and my feet arent wide or overly skinny.
I was borrowing leathers and irons and had to return them - so im left without both and need to buy some.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ones I had were 4.5" and I dont think I had enough space on each side according to your rule of thumb

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
You don't want to get hung up in the irons, and that can happen if they're not wide enough.

In hard irons I always used a 4.5", but in flex stirrups I had to buy a 4.75" in order to allow enough clearance for the rubber sleeve that goes over the joint.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I actually feel like mine might be too wide sometimes. My feet slide out easily but I also ride with just barely the ball of my foot on the pad so that might make a difference.

I just remeasured my feet with where I keep them in the stirrups and their 3.5 in so I guess I would have a half inch on both sides.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
4.75" is what I use, and my feet are size 9.5

I'm 5'6" and have size 60" leathers but I work primarily with a longer stirrup than what people would use for jumping.

Hope that gives you an idea

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well for riding with a medium stirrup and eventually going to jumping length, would 54's be what I should get? Or would a 60 cover it too?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
You could compromise and go for 58"

Just you don't want to end up with a stirrup that isn't long enough for what you want to do. But also not overly long that you have the excess flinging all over the place.

Have you measured your current ones to see what the length is?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will tonight!
The problem is that the thorowgood ones either come in 54 or 60. :/ unless I get wintecs....
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.