The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been training my TB (Red) on collection and he seems to do better in English equiptment.

I have been using a twisted wire english snaffle bit and an english bridle on him and it works better to keep his head where i want it than ANY western bits i have used on him.

Plus when i am riding in my english saddle he is more balanced under me. And its not just him.

My mare (Josie) and Charlie are also better at collecting and following commands in English tack.

Has anybody else noticed that?

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its wierd because ive never ridden him in any english competitions and just barely started trying him in english and he does great. but hes been ridden western his whole life

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
okay sorry my wording is missleading to what i was trying to convey

I have ridden red in my mothers western trail saddle and my all around saddle so its not a matter of fit. ive also ridden him in my english dressage and my jumping saddles. i WAS using a snaffle bit on him but i switched to an english 3piece snaffle.

as for training me and Diane have been working with him for on collection. he was doing pretty good for awhile and then my mom started riding him on trail rides. shes a really timid rider and is not very assertive with him so hes sort of forgotten his training.

Me n diane just started retraining him and ive found that he is working better in an english setup more than western

now that may be due to the way i ride in english or it might be that he registers the english tack as "working tack". my mother rides him in western bit/bridle/saddle etc. so he might see that as relaxed riding.

he might also just like english disipline better. differant horses respond to differant disiplines/ ridings styles etc.

as for head set instead of saying keep or put i was refering to how collected horses have their bodys in certain "form" that allows for them to be properly collected. Red tends to have h is head high and his nose out which makes him strung out and he isnt well balanced. so im working on bringing him together so he is more balanced and works better at differant gaits.

does that make more sense?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.