The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'm Char. I am an equestrian vaulter and getting back into horse forums after many years. I'm getting back into the works of online with a new goal to educated people more on the sport of vaulting.

I am still in the process of learning more as I continue my journey is this amazing sport! I look forward to interacting more on this site again and make some new friends as my fiancé and I start our new youtube series to help people learn more about this awesome sport and spotlight other teams!

Thanks!

The Vaulter :D:gallop:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
That's great! My 14 year old daughter does some vaulting, but no one around here does it, and she can't find a coach. We have the surcingle, pad, and even built a vaulting barrel for her to try new things on before she does them on her horse.

We do hope the sport takes off a bit more in our area so she can do more of it. I do worry about the fact that vaulters don't wear helmets though. So far, she has worn hers, but I know that's not what's normally done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm so glad to hear that though with her trying it out more and having the barrel and surcingle! When I lived back east we only had a few times within several hours driving distance. I still drop and hour to get the the team I started on out there. I know it's a lot of hard work, but have you every thought of starting your own team?

I know a serval coaches that started off the teams that way. That's how my first team started and now the team is so after 8 yrs or so that we had the main team and the junior/novice vaulters, I know it would take a lot of work, but I think you and your daughter could train and compete.

I'm one that follows the AVA (American Vaulting Association) rules on the no helmets. But we train safety on emergency dismounts. Even if you have to facing backwards on the horse. I'm so glad to hear that you are training! Reach out any time, I've been vaulting for about 6-7 yrs now. But am on a team with vaulters who travel overseas and around the country. I'd be more than happy to help out in any way. That's why I'm starting back up my web series to try and connect team.

·
Registered
14,623 Posts
Welcome back, very cool sport!

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Why wouldn't vaulters wear helmets?

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
I would assume it could impair vision, not stay in place or get caught on something during some moves. I'd like to see some compromise and a beefed up skull cap design.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Yes, my daughter and I have thought of starting a vaulting team. She dreams of it! But I'm not qualified to coach her and am not comfortable starting something like that without proper training. These are young girls we're talking about -- I can't be responsible for something happening to them. Although the barrel is a good way to start without much risk. We live in a small province in eastern NB where there are no big riding centers so it's hard to figure out where to start. And, well, after starting an IB program and a football team at my kids' school, I kind of wish others would start things for a change!

I'll definitely reach out to you and follow you on YouTube! Have you thought of designing an online course? That would be kind of cool. My daughter did some vaulting a few years back as part of a summer camp, but ever since, she just looks up vaulting moves and tries to replicate them. It's very hard when you don't have any guidance about where to begin though.

And I'm with QtrBel. I wish there were some kind of skull cap designed for vaulters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why wouldn't vaulters wear helmets?
I understand the concern over this and there are many arguments people can make for an against wearing a helmet. I'm actually in the process of researching all this for an up coming segment to explain the "no helmets" rule.

I would assume it could impair vision, not stay in place or get caught on something during some moves. I'd like to see some compromise and a beefed up skull cap design.
You are on the right path of the reasons why this rule is in place. I think I might need to start a thread about this, one that everyone can discuss the pros and cons of these rules.

As a rider, I always wear a helmet no matter what. But as a vaulter, I abide by the rules that are set for competitive levels.

I understand the safety concerns, as someone who has taken some really hard falls off my riding horses.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, my daughter and I have thought of starting a vaulting team. She dreams of it! But I'm not qualified to coach her and am not comfortable starting something like that without proper training. These are young girls we're talking about -- I can't be responsible for something happening to them. Although the barrel is a good way to start without much risk. We live in a small province in eastern NB where there are no big riding centers so it's hard to figure out where to start. And, well, after starting an IB program and a football team at my kids' school, I kind of wish others would start things for a change!

I'll definitely reach out to you and follow you on YouTube! Have you thought of designing an online course? That would be kind of cool. My daughter did some vaulting a few years back as part of a summer camp, but ever since, she just looks up vaulting moves and tries to replicate them. It's very hard when you don't have any guidance about where to begin though.

And I'm with QtrBel. I wish there were some kind of skull cap designed for vaulters.
I totally understand your concerns. And yes it can be difficult to start up such a team. And yes safety is a factor you have to take into consideration of your vaulters.

That's why we are very selective of what horses make the final cut to stay on as vaulting horses. As bucking is a safety issue as well as bolting. I tried to train my personal horse to be a vaulting horse. He was great at the walk (dead quiet and willing to allow you to do anything on his back like hangs, flag, and stands), but canter...forget it. (btw he was excellent horse! Just hated to work most the times. So he stayed on as my jumper until he retired).

I know there are limited insurance groups that cover here in the US for this sport. Kinda like how if you have a stallion on the property, your coverage goes up. It's not easy.

And as a vaulter who came from a newly started team when I joined them, I understand how hard it is to find such information. But my coach was good at making connections with other teams to learn more and teach us. Even now, I'm blessed to be on a team that has some members that compete at world's levels.

But, yes, I will look into making videos of the compulsories at each level that I am able to. Be it the ones I can demo, even though I'm no where near the level of other higher level vaulters. Though, I will reach out to some of my friends on other teams to help me with the filming of such demos, or I will digitally design artwork depicting the exercises that are done at the levels that I can. Because we do have 1 star, 2 and 3, then you have copper, bronze, silver and gold levels.

I will do the leg work to help others who want to vault to be able to have the resources they need. That's why I started my The Vaulter series back up. If there are any other requests on what is missing for resources, please let me know. I would be willing to do the research to try and make some new resources.

Check out the AVA site American Vaulting Association. It maybe an American organization, but they have some tips and they have some videos out there of the compulsories.

You can always do barrel competition to start out. Most competitions back east, we had horses classes and barrel classes. Since it gave us more to work with and there are some moves that are easier to do on the barrel than on the back of the horses at times.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi!
I did vaulting along with the first time I really rode horses at a camp ranch when I was a kid. I totally loved it and returned to keep doing it a couple years after.

I tried contacting some coaches before I moved last year but they never returned my calls or emails. Then, I thought I could try to just do it myself! Well that failed as I never got to purchasing the gear. Maybe some day... My horse has a very broad back.

Vaulting is still a goal, I would like to get back into it, even it it was just a few more times!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Welcome back! :wave:

I've looked into vaulting before but most of the clubs were quite a few hours away and being under 16 (at the time), I was relying on my parents to chauffeur me places.

Just took a look at the website you posted and apparently there is a vaulting club about an hour away from me now! May have to give them a call to see if they still offer lessons.

Let us know how your vaulting experience goes and please keep us updated on the future YouTube channel!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi!
I did vaulting along with the first time I really rode horses at a camp ranch when I was a kid. I totally loved it and returned to keep doing it a couple years after.

I tried contacting some coaches before I moved last year but they never returned my calls or emails. Then, I thought I could try to just do it myself! Well that failed as I never got to purchasing the gear. Maybe some day... My horse has a very broad back.

Vaulting is still a goal, I would like to get back into it, even it it was just a few more times!
I was fortunate to find my last team that were an hour away from me when I lived on the east coast. I actually used to practice on my own on the side using one of my friend's horses. She kept them down the road from my house. I really wanted one of the surcingles like the team had, but a good surcingle will run about $2,000. I had one of those cheaper ones that you can find at Dover for $100, with the small square handles. That worked for a while and they are nice for basic stuff, but they also sell the surcingles with rounded higher handles for about $500 on some sites. My team had started out with that until we upgraded the equipment and went to more competition. I had a felt pad I used that was cut to fit the horse since that helps to absorb more impact when on the horses back. There is a website call Skyline that has some good equipment. And vaulting shoes you can either get the ones you can find off of vaulting sites or you can buy dance flats for a while off Amazon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome back! :wave:

I've looked into vaulting before but most of the clubs were quite a few hours away and being under 16 (at the time), I was relying on my parents to chauffeur me places.

Just took a look at the website you posted and apparently there is a vaulting club about an hour away from me now! May have to give them a call to see if they still offer lessons.

Let us know how your vaulting experience goes and please keep us updated on the future YouTube channel!
Yay!! i'm so glad you were able to find one! I hope they offer lessons. Most places do. The club I came from started offering beginner after already having team practices for us. Most clubs are pretty good at that.

I will keep you guys posted. If you want to follow me on insta PM me and I'll send you my insta name, since that page I'm always posting my vaulting. But yes, I will keep posts up when I have more videos up, I will be working on the "Helmet Rule" next as that is a huge topic in the equestrian world. Oddly enough last night, we were working on emergency dismounts/landing at practice, so I have more info to include in that video over what can be done. There are so many thing for that topic, I'm honestly eager to start my video editing and filming.:dance-smiley05:

The link to my youtube is in my signature when you click on The Vaulter. That way if anyone want to know the basics of vaulting, I am working on more to come. But i look forward to interacting with everyone that I can on here to learn more and add more to the experience of teaching others and learning from others. I hope to find a few other vaulters on here as well!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I did vaulting as a teen, then took it up in my 30s again. We started a club at our farm, and so did other nearby farms. We were lucky we had several appropriate horses and a vaulting coach in my area. Fun times.

Simplification of the no helmet rule in vaulting: It is actually for safety. There is no helmet made that is safe for vaulting because they can be a hanging hazard. Straps/harnesses are not made to break and if something went wrong with multiple vaulters on a horse at once, it could make a simple fall much worse.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Hi @knightrider! I didn’t read everything, but I’ll come back later and read. Actually, vaulting and trick riding are two different entities. They are definitely similar, but I know very little about vaulting as a sport itself. It’s kind of gymnastic like in my imagination. There are vaults in trick riding of course, but it is a different saddle and a different style.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did vaulting as a teen, then took it up in my 30s again. We started a club at our farm, and so did other nearby farms. We were lucky we had several appropriate horses and a vaulting coach in my area. Fun times.

Simplification of the no helmet rule in vaulting: It is actually for safety. There is no helmet made that is safe for vaulting because they can be a hanging hazard. Straps/harnesses are not made to break and if something went wrong with multiple vaulters on a horse at once, it could make a simple fall much worse.
Exactly in ways yes, but the fact that we sometimes have up to 3 people on the horse at one time is a major safety concern with helmets. As you said they are't designed to release under pressure and think is someone accidentally gets their fingers or even their foot to somehow entangle with the harness of the helmet. Maybe not as likely as they are usually pretty snug. Though there are a lot of factors. Once I get my video up and going about the issues, trust me I'm going to pull out all the arguments for and against the rule.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.