The Horse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I plan on going into the equine industry and was originally planning to go straight into a job or internship, but my parents would like me to consider going to formal secondary education. I don't do well at regular school so I would want to go somewhere that doesn't require gen-eds. I have heard of Meredith Manor but I have also heard all of the bad parts of it and don't want to go there. Does anyone know of any similar places? I am fine with anywhere in the US and possibly even Canada. Thow any of your ideas at me.
I would also love info on any equine internships you know of.

·
Registered
804 Posts
My first concern for you would be that there are trainers that offer "internships" and the interns end up doing menial labor with occasional lessons that don't lead to any kind of solid foundation. In other words, protect yourself from being taken advantage of. If you want to make a career of working with horses, I believe that no matter how distasteful it may sound, you would probably need some background in business management at least. I took a shot at doing what I loved to do, without being sharp at business, and spent 14 years making enough money to pay my husband's income taxes, without a penny left over as actual "income" for me.

Have you considered hoof care? From my vantage point there is a big opportunity in this field, especially in mastering the newer methodologies emerging in therapeutic applications. Modern hoof care takes a "whole body" approach and is not just slapping on shoes anymore. Many colleges offer certification programs (and you could also pick up your business classes), and a very few institutes that teach the foundations of barefoot trimming, and the more advanced materials used in therapeutic hoof care.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your info. I am definitely going to be weary about where I go and will likely pick somewhere that I know I will learn or that I will get paid at (or both).
I Plan on taking the agbiz masters program through ag choice that focuses on money management and business end of things, so that will help a lot.
I have considered becoming a farrier and I really wanted to at one point, but I am prone to migranes and the constant bending down wouldn't work for me in the long run. I'm actually kind of sad about that cause I think I would enjoy it otherwise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts