The Horse Forum banner

Equine Photography

1285 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  my2geldings
Hi there,
I just had a question, I figured this was the best place to put it.

I've been taking pictures of dogs and people for friends of mine for a while now, but haven't yet made the leap to being paid for photography. Horses are my true passion, so my question to you guys is this...

Would you be interested in hiring a photographer to follow you around at a show? Just taking pictures of you and your horse, not like the official photographer who grabs one or two shots of everyone. My style of photography is 'photojournalistic', so it would end up being the story of your show day in pictures. My other idea was filming a lesson or something, so that you can see what exactly you're doing while on your horse.

I figured prices would be relatively low, say $50-$100 to follow you at a show all day, and you'd get a CD with images on it then.

Does this sound like something you'd be interested in? Why or why not?

Thanks very much!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,349 Posts
NO if you want to be a pro photographer you are better off working on prospective at a show. Contact the show promoter and see if they have a photographer. If the do not ask if you can do it. All you would need is a place to set up an assistant to take orders and some examples of your prints. I shoot on prospective at many many shows. I am the official photographer for many shows if you are good even at a schooling show you can come home with $500+ for a days shoot.

If the show has a official photographer you will not be allowed on the grounds normally. Also if you are going to spend all day at a show and only come home with a $100 stay home. I will not even leave my house for less then a $100 sitting fee. Now this can be a good way to get going. However in reality get with a schooling show and become their official photographer. You will learn so much more about what clients want if you have never taken any classes for photography. There is so much more then just pointing and shooting.

Reactions: vephotography

· Registered
5,349 Posts
I custom print EVERYTHING up to the point of the 24X36 and larger prints that some clients want. Those go to a custom print shop I use.

You really have to have a good system set up to keep track of each rider and each image. B/C NO ONE at a horse show has the time to sit and look through a 1000 images which is about what you will shoot at a larger show.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.